MidiBox CV as a Midi to CV unit

RockRaver

Hi Fellas. I am building a Sound Labs Mini Synth in the near future (working on the Sub Commander now) and I was wondering if I could use the MidiBox CV as a Midi to CV unit. That is, I want to use it to interface my Midi Keyboard Controller (M-Audio Keystation 88ES) with the Mini Synth in order to play it like a real synth. I will also be incorpoarting the Guitar Trigger MFOS has designed into my Mini Synth so I could play my guitar thru the Mini Synth as well. I don't need a bunch of gates or midi in's or anything like that. Just one Midi in and one Midi thru i'm guessing. Also, I was gonna get the MAX525's (for the MBHP_AOUT unit) from Digikey, as I don't trust myself enough to succefully solder the TLV5630 surface mount chip if I were to use the MBHP_AOUT_NG. The MBHP_AOUT_LC seems like a good solution for me too but, is it as good as the MAX525 version? I get the feeling it isn't hence, i'm going for the original AOUT. Unless..., you guys think that the AOUT_LC will work fine for me. Anyone use that circuit as a MIDI to CV unit? Remember, i'll be using an 88 key midi controller keyboard so, i'm looking to reduce any chances of drift as much as possible. Lastly, is the AOUT_V1 Epoxide PCB that mikes-elektronikseite sells still compatible with the current version of the Midibox CV? Thanks again and it's good to be back into synth electronics again. Spent the last year and a half building a bunch of guitar fx pedals and a few tube amps. That was fun. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

My 2 cents as I'm using the AOUT_NG connected to my MB-SEQv4 in my modular: You can never have too many CV out channels!

It was easy peasy soldering the TLV chip. I wouldn't like fewer bits for my pitch CVs, and the MAX525 is expensive, plus the shunt required is a component sourcing headache I don't need. I fail to see any valid reason to go with a lesser solution than the NG, and the MBHP_AOUT is expensive and harder to source for a marginal improvement.

I got my AOUT_NG in the kit form from Smash-TV so I avoided any sourcing. That said, there's nothing strange in there so it should be smooth sailing no matter what.

Ok then. I guess i'll go with the MBHP_AOUT_NG with the TLV Surface Mount chip on it then. Do I need anything special to solder them in? I watched the sammichFM video on the blog and noticed that he brushed some sort of liquid something or another on the board before he soldered on his SM chip. What was that? I'm guessing I should use that stuff too, no? Sorry, never did a surface mount chip before. Also, what else do you think i'll need besides the stuff listed on the MIDIBox CV design page (Core, AOUT_NG, LCD 2x16, DINx1, 4 Pushbuttons and a Bankstick) and, do you think I even need all that? After all, i'm only using this to plug in my keyboard controller to the CV/Gate in on the Mini Synth. The goal is to have the Guitar Trigger and Midi Input (via a Midi to CV unit) built into the Mini Synth. Not looking to build a seperate MIDI to CV box. Not at this point anyway. Maybe do one in the near future as I expand on the synth builds.

The liquid was flux. You can get flux pens for easy application. Also get some fine solder - about 0.5mm diameter, and make sure that the tip of your iron is clean.

I did my first surface mount board last week and it was much easier than expected. I ended up bridging a few pins, but solder wick fixed that. Give it a go - it isn't as scary as you think!

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

First off, thanks to everyone for their input. I just started the Core unit and I have a few questions.

I've got all the parts on the board except the 7805 Regulator, the BC337 transistor and the two IC's. I also held off on mounting the large IC socket for the time being because, I see a couple of unmarked holes on the board and I was wondering if I needed to run some jumpers in them spots. The board I have is the latest Revision 4d board. On the uCapps site there is a walkthrough for the older revision 3 board, and in it there are 4 jumpers that need to be soldered in but so far, i've found no mention about any jumpers for this R4d board. Do I need to run any jumpers on this board?

Also, my kit came with an extra 1K resistor and an extra 1N4148 diode for the "CAN bus termination". I did a search for the CAN bus termination on the wiki and stuff but, I can't tell where or what it is except that CAN stands for Controller Area Network and, if i'm not mistaken, has something to do with the SID module. So you know, I got my board from AVI Showtech and there is nothing on their site about where this CAN thing is and, it so happens, there's no mention about running jumpers on their site either. Either in writing or, in pictures.

Lastly, the walkthrough I mentioned earlier for the revision 3 board has some testing procedures for that board. Basically, aplying power to the board and reading the voltages at a few pins on the IC sockets. Is there anything comparable to the R4d board out there or, should I just follow the same procedure for the R4 board?

Thanks again.

Ok. I finally found something on the ucapps site that explains what the CAN bus termination is and, it seems to me that this is only needed when you connect multiple cores together. Am I correct? Or, should I put them in there anyway?