MIDIbox SID with 16x2 char LCD

Captain_Hastings

Is anyone using a 16x2 LCD display with the latest SID application? I'm planning a minimal control surface (step B).

The values per page in the MIOS app can be set to 4 instead of 5, but on the SID pages Thorsten mentions 20x2 as minimal.

So, will i need to adapt the app myself to support a 16x2 display, or does it completely supports 16x2 by setting the values per page?

Anyone using display sizes other than 20x2?

Hey, I was going to sell one of my spare 16x2 lcd to someone building a SID, so I hooked it up to my SID first to test it. I changed the config in the text file to 4 and turned it on. My experience is that it doesn't work properly. I still couldn't get to the last menu item i.e. the release on an envelope. I think some of the menus worked fine - the cfg menu for example. Hopefully someone else can try it on there box.

Justin

Hi

I'm using a 16 x 2 LCD for my SID with step B control surface (I'm using 4 encoders with push buttons instead on regular buttors). You will have to change the LCD settings within the "main.asm" for the SID app too "4" then assemble and convert to upload to the core.

All Should Be well from there on.

Rowan

Ok, I tried that and it didn't work for me, but I'll try again tonight.

Justin

Edit: I just tried it again. Same result. It only shows 4 items like it is supposed to, but if I go to the ENV page, and turn the menu encoder to the right, I can't get to the REL parameter. For the record, I am using a panel just like TK's with 5 menu buttons and a menu encoder.

Justin

I'm also building SID step B with a 16x2 LCD, four selection buttons and encoder, using encoder's button as the menu button (plus seven other buttons/leds).

Captain Hastings: I noticed that at line 405 in cs_menu.inc, there's the assumtion of a 20x2 LCD/5 selection buttons... the name editing menu has five options ( <   >  Del Ins Clr ). Which means you miss out on the "Clr" command, which I assume won't be that big a deal.

goyousalukis: Do you see the left/right arrow symbol in any of the menus? If you do, that ought to validate that the core has firmware configured for 4 menu items. Can you check the last displayed parameter in each menu with the tables in cs_menu_tables.inc and tell me which ones work and which dont?

I'm keen to find out what's wrong here as I want to use a 16x2 LCD myself... had a quick scan of source code and can't find anything wrong with the code. I should be finished soldering soon and will do some testing myself (maybe within a week).

Wilba

The reason why I'm suggesting a 20x2 display is, that it allows to display the 5 parameters which are also assigned to the 5 encoders of the OSC and ENV group.

However, the "CS_MENU_DISPLAYED_ITEMS" setting should work fine...

Best Regards, Thorsten.