Help - CS buttons and knob is not-not-working/

tomarkus

Hello!

Today I have received my assembled sammichSID. Unfortunatelly, it is not working as supposed to work.

There are 2 major symptoms:

1. Knob and buttons are not working at all (not even one).
2. When I launch Ableton Live and start playing MIDI notes through sammichSID I can hear only mono buzz despite Lead Patch selected (it is automatically selected after turning on the device). Of course my cable routing is proper. I can see LED blinking (received MIDI notes), but my sound card/headphones gives me only barely audible buzz.

More information:
1. I can flash the device with the latest firmware available without any problems,
2. I can load a sound bank (v2_vintage_bank.syx) via MB SIDV2 Editor v0.5,
3. LCD and LEDs are working normally (tested with sammichCSTest.hex, Ableton and MOS Studio),
4. After reading some other posts I have double-checked that:
- heat-sink is not touching anything,
- RN1-RN4 are in correct positions.

Here are the photos - maybe I'm missing something:
CLICK HERE

Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by tomarkus

Hi there and welcome!

not a Sammich user myself, but did you check, that all 74* ICs are in the right place (orientation and especially type)?

If these are correct, the next question would be regarding your power supply - which type is it and can you measure voltages, when the unit is turned on?

As long as there is no "short" between the voltage regulator pins and no PCB traces are scratched, there should be no problem there.

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Hi there and welcome!

Thanks!

not a Sammich user myself, but did you check, that all 74* ICs are in the right place (orientation and especially type)?

ICs are my main suspect here. According to Base PCB layout on IC2L and IC3L positions there should be 74HC595 placed, but I have MM74HC165N/MC74HC165N plugged, and 74HC595 are placed here: IC1 and IC2 (CS PCB)

Can somebody take a look on photos and confirm that this is the case? I would not want to set my sammichSID on fire ;-)

If these are correct, the next question would be regarding your power supply - which type is it

I'm using 12v and 1A adapter - I've checked voltages, no issues.

and can you measure voltages, when the unit is turned on?

I have checked all Base and CS PCB voltages - they're all correct (according to my multimeter and chapter 5 of building instruction :))

As long as there is no "short" between the voltage regulator pins and no PCB traces are scratched, there should be no problem there.

I have checked these as well - the voltages are correct despite the small scratches (visible on the last photo).

Greets,

Tomasz

Edited by tomarkus

ICs are my main suspect here. According to Base PCB layout on IC2L and IC3L positions there should be 74HC595 placed, but I have MM74HC165N/MC74HC165N plugged, and 74HC595 are placed here: IC1 and IC2 (CS PCB)

Yes, according to the build guide your sockets hold the wrong ICs. I'd suggest you just swap them out for the correct ones and see whether they have survived or not. No risk of starting a fire there!