Some SID questions

Dr_Nick

Hi!

I've got some questions regarding the MIDIbox SID (Step C):

1. I plan to use the powersupply described in "mbhp_4xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf". The SID-modules are supplied with 14V, which is only 2 volts more than the old SIDs need.

Is there any advantage in using low-drop voltage regulators on the SID-modules? (LM2940-CT12 instead of a 7812)

2. I'll use rotary encoders with built-in buttons. How do I have to modify the source code so that pushing the knob shows the current value? That way you don't need to change the value by turning the knob in order to see it...

3. How do the "software implemented MIDI Rx/Tx LEDs" work?

Regards,

Dr. Nick

1: Thats OK. The 78xx needs *about* 2V above its voltage to regulate correctly (and even less if the current is really low).

On the SID modules there is no reason to do that. They already have a very low current (appr. 50-100 mA).

You only need those things when you have high currents (to prevent to much heat dissipation and to need less current).

2: Got no idea... but the turning method already works really fine (just move the rotenc a little there and back). I rather would use the buttons for replacing the buttons (new very cool design possible!! The LEDs around the rotencs)

3: no idea... always used the hardware solution up to now ::)

Greets and have fun!

Addendum to Pay_c's answers:

2. I'll use rotary encoders with built-in buttons. How do I have to modify the source code so that pushing the knob shows the current value? That way you don't need to change the value by turning the knob in order to see it...

Maybe the simplest solution: you could enhance the button handler in cs_menu_buttons.inc by a function which calls CS_MENU_ENC_CS_Handler with following input parameters: the encoder number which relates to the button, and incrementer=0 (!). This means: the CS will change to the correct menu entry but won't increment or decrement the value.

Create 15 functions for 15 encoders and assign them to the buttons in cs_menu_io_tables.inc

3. How do the "software implemented MIDI Rx/Tx LEDs" work?

read the comments in midi_rxtx.inc

Best Regards, Thorsten.