Using Seq LFO with aout to modulate analog synth modules

smokestacksproductions

Hello,

I have read the section of the seqv4 manual which describes different functions within the LFO menu but it is still unclear to me how to use the LFO to generate a smooth and consistent CV.

If I set the LFO to "note" it modulates the CV channel I have assigned, but it seems to only work on an active step, giving me stepped or quantized CV rather than a smooth and continuous CV. All I'm trying to do is modulate the cutoff of my filters like the way a traditional LFO module would. What settings should I use? Ideally I would like for the LFO to continue running and just retrigger the cycle with active steps...

Well, this is all just guessing, but I would think about envelope (sustain length), or something like gate length or even a glide function, to prevent a note-off situation in which case your LFO gets cut off. Again: I don't have a SEQ so I really know nothing. Just trying to give an outsider's view :)

Thanks for the input! I tried just playing a really long note, but the pitch didn't change until the next note.

First of all the LFO will always be quantized to the MIDI clock. We can see it as a feature, since MBSEQ is a sequencer and not a synth (or synth control engine) like MBCV V2

It will change it's value with each step - and this is the effect that you noticed.

I'm not planning to integrate a continuous LFO into the firmware, as this would overload the CPU too much (I guess that everybody prefers a responsive sequencer...)

But there are options which you could try out, maybe they already satisfy your needs. :)

a) increase the speed of the track by setting the clock divider to 1 in the "Track ClockDivider" page

b) or configure the AOUT port for CC output (see documentation: MIDI channel 9..16)

And use the "Extra CC" (right side of the LFO page) at 384 PPQN - the CC number doesn't matter, but it should be >= 1

c) change to the CV configuration page, and increase the Slew Rate -> this will add an envelope to smooth the waveforms

Best Regards, Thorsten.