What kind of encoder (or switch?) is this?

Jeff009

I'm kinda new to the DIY MIDI project world, and I'm slowly getting to know the parts and categories that are available. I've already had some exposure to potentiometers, (endless) rotary encoders, and lately I've been dabbling with mechanical encoders.

I came across a posting on synthopia today about a device called a fourMulator from Vermona (http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/10/13/vermona-fourmulator-quad-digital-lfo-for-eurorack-modular-synthesizers-sneak-preview/). I noticed that the knob which selects the wave has 6 selections/settings, but the range of the knob selection is only 180 degrees or so (so only a portion of the full range of the knob is used).

I didn't know anything like this existed. I've been experimenting with mechanical encoders lately, but they turn 360 degrees, and each value is evenly divided. What kind of device is this? How does it work?

Thanks,

Jeff

Exactly!

There are specialized rotary switches with a fixed number of stops, then we have things like the Lorlin switches where you can set the number of stops by moving an internal stop part. The switch may be 1Px12, 2Px6 or 3Px4 and you can set it to the number of stops desired.