Small controller with LCD, start/stop, prev/next button?

Stormbringer

Hey guys.

The band i'm playing in are about to change our previous MP3 backing track solution to a PC.

The drummer is the one starting, stopping and skipping tracks. The computer will be rack mounted, and i'm currently looking into a solution to build a wired remote that display the song title, and allows to move to next/previous in the play list, and start + stop. So it's not really a full featured Controller in that sense.

Now, as the only one in the band with some tech abilities and electronic + programming skills i got the task to solve this issue. And i figured MIDI is a great solution to this (been looking alot at the midibox LC a couple of years back, but havent built one). What i do have built earlier is a small pic18f2550-based USB to Gameport Midi interface for my old creative blasterkeys keyboard which worked out fine.

Anyone seen a project for controlling a media player software through MIDI? I do have a bunch of PIC MCU's avaliable, and i know my way around electronics and programming quite well, but it would save me quite some time if there's already someone out there that have done this.

Any tips? :)

• 3 months later...

If you want to go the MidiBox route, sounds like a MB64E configured with just a min of controls. I'm assuming your PC has a midi port of some sort? If not you could use a LPC core and MB NG,  that would provide more midi ports, that might be useful.

If you just want 'quick and dirty' you could go with a Arduino and run http://projectgus.github.com/hairless-midiserial/  As far as the Arduino's sketch, I can't help you much, but the interface is very simple so I would guess there are similar examples out there; MP3 players maybe.

If all of your tracks being played from the Media player are Midi, you might just build a hand held Midi player using the MIDIO128 V3 project at http://www.ucapps.de/midio128.html. All the songs could be saved on the SD card of the hand held unit and 3 buttons (Soft 1,2,3) could be used to select the song and start and stop playing. The 20x2 LCD display would show the song title and you could even include an encoder for changing the tempo. It would send the data over the Midi1 out connector. You could even use the unused 2 pins on the connector to deliver power to the electronics of the hand held unit.

Pete