A few questions for a sammichSID Build

SiliconHeaven

Greetings! This is place is awesome! I am currently working on a sammichSID and I have a few questions. I would like to continually post in this thread as I go. Just a heads up my electrical and soldering experience are zero, but that hasn't stopped me before.

1. I noticed ceramic capacitors have 4 holes. "EG: C7L & C7R" I chose to attach them to the PCB using the outer sets of holes. I accidentally filled some of the inner and outer holes but never bridged sets. Is that okay? Should I fill all 4 holes of each capacitor?

2. I bent some ceramic capacitors as I was building. Should replace them? LoL how do I check for errors on my part?

3. I soldered a 6 pin Common Bus resistor where the machine pin strip (6 pins as well) goes into C1R and C2R. It took 2 hours to get out, LMFAO but what's a good check to make sure I didn't ruin anything.

4. I swear I read somewhere if I wanted,mono in and out jacks, I would need to remove pins 2 and 5 from the jacks. Is that correct?

By the way I don't know how to use a multimeter LoL. I've just begun step 3 inserting rear jacks. I have this multi meter.

http://m.radioshack.com/radioshack/product/detail.do?itemId=4214667&categoryId=1092594&path=Home%7CHobby+%26+Do-It-Yourself%7CTest+%26+meter+equipment%7CMultimeters%7CRadioShack%26reg%3B+15-Range+Digital+Multimeter

Sorry for the long link.

Wilba wherever you are, bless you. You added a extra 6 pin common resistor. How'd you know??? O-o

1)Yes, that's ok. The two holes on each side are connected to allow for different footprints. No, you do not need to fill all holes.

2) if you bent the legs, it's all good. If you actually broke the ceramic part, you might wanna replace them.

3) It's rather unlikely you damaged the resistor network. You can measure the resistance from the common pin to every other pin.

4) What exactly are you planning to do?

nILS thanks a lot. :-)

1: thanks eases tension.

2. Damn it cracked just a tiny tiny bit where the ceramic starts. So I'll order a few more. There goes building before tonight lol.

3: you lost me. I know I know. Noob....but that's a good thing....to me at least. I'll look up little more and than ask I needed. I'll do what I did for the GND/5v test I did lol.

4: I will take your answer as, I was right and it's up to me to decide. ;-)

Thanks for designing the board. I know, no kudos. I'll send a beer when the wife ain't looking.

New Question:

So I am done with my build but I have run into firmware problems.

I connected midi in and out. Turned unit on and got the midi in address.

When I press "Query" nothing happens. Red text appears.

I tried to upload MIOS and another red text appeared saying there is no core.

Suggestions? I've tried a majority of the midi debug test and checked all solder joints a lot of times.

LoL I went thru the entire troubleshooting guide at http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html and couldn't find problem.

Frustrated, I went to take a shower and it struck me. After inserting PIC18F4685, I was too happy to load the Firmware. I forgot to insert 6N138 into IC2. Bingo! Firmware loaded with no problems.

Im having trouble uploading content to my gallery. Once i get my video uploaded, ill share it.

Onto the next DIY....