76key MIDI controller?

Guest igor23

Where can I find something about building a custom MIDI keyboard controller?  ???

I'm thinking 76 keys, a few buttons for bank/program changes or some triggering, about 16 knobs, and a joystick (pitch-bend/modulation control).

It would look something like the Evolution MK361c (http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/keyboards_01.htm#361c) controller, just with 76 keys (61 doesn't do it for me) and a joystick instead of the wheels.

Hi,

Building a custom midi keyboard is a fairly unusual requirement as they are expensive and

reletively complex and to implement(unless you dont want velocity :()).

There are so many low cost keyboards out there that it would be difficult to justify the time required.

Maybe you could convert a second hand midi synth and build-in midibox h/w for controls/ knobs/ buttons/display etc.

cheers

Yup, that sounds reasonable.

The thing is I need a lightweight controller for the stage (hooked up to a laptop), and seeing all those DIY's out there, I thought that there just has to be someone doing this.

I think I'll do just that: get a second hand keyboard and spice it up with a MIDIbox.

Thanks, mate  :D

I'm interested in kind of the same thing.  I have an old synthesizer organ (two sets of keys and a set of pedals) that I can't get the sound working right and I'd like to turn it into a midi controller.  The keys don't have velocity, so it just needs simple on/off switches.  I was planning to see if I could adapt one of the midibox projects to work, but does anyone have a better solution?

Hi! I'm building a MIDIbox, and i'm also going to make a light-weight, stage keyboard like an addon. I really just a fun gadget, but it will be small and compact.

I guess igor23 won't have much use for it, as it uses an external Midibox64, but bosskong might be interested if he has an MB already.

The concept is similar to the MB's made by LO in the MIDIbox Gallery . What i will do is this, basically:

1. Chop off (literally) two octaves from an old Casio keyboard. The keys are quite small but playable.

2. Make a nice little case.

3. Solder the keyboards switches to a DIN module with 3 serial registers (74HC165) so that i basically get 24 buttons for a MIDIbox.

4. Make a midibox (one can take one that's already been built), make a connector (i'm gonna use a 9-pin DSUB) and connect it to the J2 port on the midibox DIN module. Then put one at the keyboards DIN's J1, and the connect them together, like on the picture below:

[tt]

-------------------

|                 |

| MIDIBOX         |         -------------------

|                 |         | Keyboard        |

| --------------  |         | --------------  |

| | DIN module |  |         | | DIN module |  |

| ---||---------  |         | ---||---------  |

-----||------------         -----||------------

||                          ||

==============================

J2                          J1

[/tt]

This solution allows me to exchange the keyboard for anything else that uses on/off-switches (big buttons for triggering drumsounds, a box with lots of pedal inputs etc etc). The only drawback as i know of, is that the cable between the two DIN modules can only be 1 meter maximum.

Hope anyone finds this useful.

/J

Now that I've looked into it a little more, it looks like the Midibox 128 was designed for almost the same purpose as what I want to use it for.  When the new 18F firmware comes out, I'll get working on my standup MIDI organ with two sets of 37 keys, 13 pedals, and 17 or so switches...  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I`m just taking my first steps in this whole MB thing. Could someone try to explain, how to exactly build the key switching (no velocity) to a MB? I`ve already put my old Casio keyboard (61 keys) into pieces and planning to build a kind of mackie control with keyboard and extra pots for VST-synths. :-/

MBHP Din module accepts wires from switch contacts and can trigger midi events (eg note on/off) and special functions.

In finding your feet it will help if you familiarise yourself with the MBHP modules and roughly what they do (ucapps.de). Then look at some of the schematics which show midibox implementations to see how it all fits together. There are many combinations of modules that can be configured to fulfill just about any requirement.

cheers

• 5 years later...

where is the PCB

Stacky, it's really enough now! Rephrasing "I need a circuit diagram 4 this" doesn't make the question any better. This whole thread doesn't talk about any PCB at all. http://www.ucapps.de/midio128.html is the link to MIDIO128, that's the project these guys were talking about 6 years ago... Generally, 99% of all the posts in this forum are about projects you can find (including cirquit diagrams and PCB layouts) on ucapps.de. So your questions don't make any sense as they're put in a very general way. After you've read the stuff on ucapps.de, when more precise questions occur, this forum will be a very helpful community for everyone, but as long as you don't even tell people enough of what you want to do and what your problems are, these posts really REALLY don't make any sense.

I guess English is not your native language, so if you've got problems phrasing your questions in English, consider doing that in one of the "Multilingual" subforums. just please STOP posting these half sentence nonsense questions or I'll start deleting these posts in the future!

S