Midi keyboard integration

2wice

Good day all.

I'd like to start a project constructing a controller for logic with a built in midi keyboard.

The controller part I have planned (some hardware ordered already) and expect will work.

I have a kb that does not work with os x ml via usb but should work fine via midi.

I was thinking of stripping the kb and building the keys and internals with the mbng control surface.

My question then, would it be best to keep the original keyboard electronics and using the midi to interface, or somehow integrate the keys only through the mbng?

And is the later even possible?

I have been lurking around here since deep in the last decade and I have to mention that I believe that there is something reaaaaaly special happening here with the mbng.

Well done to TK. and all involved, it is really awesome work. 

Regards

What is "best" depends on your own criteria

For example: Do you want to minimise building effort? (In that case I'd just plug midi from the keyboard into NG core, and concentrate on the functionality of the controller)

Is aesthetics important? then perhaps you may want to build it all into one device, etc. 

From a technical point of view, knowing the key switch arrangement would be essential for getting the keyboard controller working.

It will all take time, so I'd suggest even if you want to do the keyboard control part with NG, perhaps starting with the Logic controller part, then a later step to interface the keyboard.    

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

If the keyboard already has a scan controller which can be re-used, there is no really need for going the hard route.

You can connect the MIDI OUT of the keyboard to one of the MBNG based MIDI INs, and route it to USB with a ROUTER node.

Best Regards, Thorsten.