label to SysEx?

ilmenator

Hi TK,

I have a situation here in which I need to display messages on an external device. This device (a Mackie C4) receives the strings via SysEx commands, indicating on which display (1 of 4) to print, and at which position, with the characters ASCII encoded. It would be nice if a modified label functionality (not necessarily the control characters, with the exception of ^<label> maybe, which seems very handy) could be used for this purpose? So instead of having to convert the strings manually into hex format and insert that into the SysEx message, have this done automatically?

The C4 expects something like this for the first display:

F0 00 00 66 17 30 xx [yy] F7

with xx = position of first character to display:

00 = first position in first line
                36 = last position in first line
                38 = first position in second line
                6E = last position in second line
and [yy] = sequence of ASCII coded characters

For the other displays it's the same, only that you select a display in the following way:

Display 2 (second from top):
F0 00 00 66 17 31 xx [yy] F7

Display 3 (third from top):
F0 00 00 66 17 32 xx [yy] F7

Display 4 (lowest):
F0 00 00 66 17 33 xx [yy] F7

The main thing I need is to avoid having to convert the strings manually. Everything else should be doable via the SYSEX_VAR I guess. Would this be possible?

Thanks, ilmenator

Fantastic, thanks!

Edit: I just realized that the label apparently needs to be defined locally? In other words, it seems I cannot define a label globally in the .NGL file and have that transmitted as part of the SysEx stream?

Also, would it be possible to define more SysEx variables in the SYSEX_VAR line? It seems the system ignores it when I try to add e.g. manuf1=0x00 manuf2=0x21 manuf3=0x02 and try to use these in the SysEx stream?

Edited by ilmenator