LPC17 and MF_NG Help

fourfour

Hey.

This is my first time posting and my first build. Thanks for all the hard work on this project. Very cool stuff!

I have a few questions on getting started. I have the LPC17 setup with the SD and working over USB.

My configuration is going to be:

• LPC17
  • (2) DIN to control 21 Rotary knobs and 20 buttons
  • (1) MF_NG to control 1 Motorized Fader (Alpha)
  • (1) DOUT for LED

I won't be using any midi ports for this project, it will be USB-MIDI.

I have J4B of LPC17 connected to J11 of MF_NG. From here, I have no idea what to do to be honest. :smile:

I would love to make a detailed PDF of the connections to share. I will be interfacing this with ProTools and Reason, what is the best emulation for those?

Any help would be amazing.

Cheers.

-eric

post-17366-0-17385100-1368378367_thumb.j

Hi Eric,

welcome on board! :)

You could try out the MBHP_MF_NG with following (temporary) MIDI router configuration, which has to be entered into the MIOS Terminal:

set router 1 USB4 all OUT3 all
set router 2 IN4 all USB4 all

Thereafter select the fourth USB IN/OUT port in MIOS Studio to communicate with the MBHP_MF_NG module.

Once this is working (and you are able to configure the module with the MF tool, which is also part of MIOS Studio), you can setup the router connections with the MF command in the .NGC file instead, like described in the manual (and demonstrated in the examples)

I will be interfacing this with ProTools and Reason, what is the best emulation for those?

It depends on what you are planning to do with the fader.

Do you want to directly control it from your DAWs (so that MBNG only has to route the MIDI signals to USB), or should MBNG control the fader as well?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey Thorsten!

Thanks for the quick response!

re: ProTools fader control 

I am building a channel strip for a plugin. So all the encoders/buttons will control the plugin and the fader will be the output fader of the ProTools track. I need the fader to be controlled from ProTools and to control ProTools. The point would be to write and playback automation. I am not familiar with the protocols to know which would be best to implement. 

I don't think MBNG would need any control.

Cheers.

-eric

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Protools, and especially don't know if it supports fully customized control over channel strips.

If this can't be directly configured in Protools itself, you could search for an existing hardware controller which already provides such a feature, and then we could help you to create a .NGC file which emulates the protocol.

As long as an emulation (MIDI message translation) isn't required, you could route the IN/OUT ports of MBHP_MF_NG directly to protools as described above.

Best Regards, Thorsten.