MIDIbox SEQ v4 vs. MIDIAlf

portervance

I came across the MIDIAlf project (http://midisizer.com/midialf/) a few weeks ago and have been interested in maybe purchasing one. It's an 8-step sequencer with a couple of neat functions, but it seemingly borrows a lot of features from the MIDIbox SEQ as well as some things from the Mutable Instruments MIDIpal.

The SEQ is 16-steps obviously and has a lot more bells and whistles, but I was wondering if anyone had come across the MIDIAlf project and could compare the two for me. A $50 build is intriguing vs a $600ish MIDIbox SEQ. I will probably end up with both :).

• Like 1

I am not particularly sure that you got your math right!. In terms of cost the MIDIALF is probably located between the V4 and the V4L. Feature-wise it is probably similar. However, USD 50 is highly unrealistic (I'll buy 3 from you for that price...).

The price is definitely unrealistic. And incomplete!

The way I see it, for 50$ you get the board and the preprogrammed ATmega processor. But you have to get all the other parts too (listed in the bill of materials). So I estimate at least another 100$ for these. The led buttons on both sides (MECs) are pretty pricy. So can be the display and maybe other parts.

At last you want to put that thing in some kind of housing, which can be also expensive, if you want a nice acrylic housing or an alloy frontpanel á la Schaeffer with an alternative case, you have to spend at least another 50$ for that.

So, in a nutshell, with all the additional costs (shipping costs, unexpected extras,...) I would say, building the MIDIAlf would cost ~ 250$.

greetings

Edited by John E. Finster

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I paid some 170€. Shipping the pcb to europe takes incredibly long :/

Someone in the Mutable Instruments forums said he'll make a case, I suppose it will be around 70€ as every other case he made yet.

I've got a Seq V4L aswell but as long as the PCB remains in the middle of nowhere, I can't make a comparison. I already favor the Midialf for its display though.

Edited by diwib