trying to understand core32 options for SEQV4

lief138

After a long delay I am finally getting around to build SeqV4. I have core32 from SmashTV and just started reviewing the instructions for building the core here
http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_core_stm32.html
I am good until this section

Serial ports consist of:
2x5 DIL headers J8/9, J16 and J19
Pull-Up resistors arrays R30, R32 (4*1k arrays) and R31 (4*220 Ohm array) - note that they only have to be stuffed in special cases (see below)
3.3V/5V selection jumpers J24, J25, J26
Pull-Up resistors are only required if a 5V supplied module is connected to a serial port. This is mostly the case for J8/J9, where the SRIO chain is connected by default. It's not required for a SD Card, which is supplied at 3.3V and usually connected to J16.

I assume since this is for the SEQ with the SD card I would just leave the arrays off.

Also I cannot seem to determine what the Jumper selection would be as I find this in the guide. What is expected here?
J24/J25/J26    3    5V/3.3V supply options for serial ports TODO

Next instruction
For J8/J9 (R31) it is recommended to use 220 Ohm resistors, especially if many DIN/DOUT modules are connected. For other ports 4*1k arrays are sufficient and recommended as long as the 5V option is used (again: leave out the array if 3.3V option is used!).
If you are planning to use the core module for different applications, you can use SIP socket strips for the 3 resistor arrays, so that you are able to remove/replace them whenever required. The 5 pins of the arrays can be extended with cutted resistor legs (yeah - here we need them again)
TODO: provide table with all the options

Again, I understand that these arrays are not installed and I could just skip this section

Instruction about power
Finally add the 7805 based voltage regulation unit if the core shouldn't be supplied via USB, but by an external PSU or transformer:
2200 uF cap C8, 330 nF cap C9
47 uF cap C10, 100 nF cap C11
7805 voltage regulator IC6
Bridge Rectifier X1
AC or DC input J1
5V input or output J2
Note that USB Power Jumper J17 has to be removed when the core is supplied externally!

I plan to have an external power but not just yet. If a populate these parts but just leave J17 in place for now will it still work? I guess I could just remove the jumper when I am ready for external power.

I'm trying to not screw this up. Please let me know.
Thanks, Lief

Hi,

I assume since this is for the SEQ with the SD card I would just leave the arrays off.

yes, not required for J16

Also I cannot seem to determine what the Jumper selection would be as I find this in the guide. What is expected here?
J24/J25/J26    3    5V/3.3V supply options for serial ports TODO

J16 (SD Card) has to be supplied with 3.3V, therefore J24 should select 3.3V

J25 and J26 should select 5V

Again, I understand that these arrays are not installed and I could just skip this section

No, please install 220 Ohm arrays for J8/9 and J19

I plan to have an external power but not just yet. If a populate these parts but just leave J17 in place for now will it still work? I guess I could just remove the jumper when I am ready for external power.

yes

Best Regards, Thorsten.