wanted: digital multi fx board

TheSlowGrowth

Hi!

I'm looking for a digitally controllable multi fx board to fit into a synth. I'm looking for something with:

• at least two independent fx channels
  • mono in, stereo out per channel
  • high quality reverb, delay, + some more effects
  • completely controllable via MIDI or any other protocol that can be connected to a MIDIbox
  • small form factor

I could go for a general purpose rack mounted fx processor and remove the case+ui. But it seems impossible to find something that can be completely controlled without touching its user interface. 

Any ideas?

Johannes

A couple of years ago Elektor developed a board around the SpinSemi FV1. That is controllable via MIDI. But not sure if you can do it without touch the UI.

The ideal situation would be a FX chip which is controlled through MIOS.

SpinSemi FV1 looks great, but also very limited - I see no way of controlling this thing digitally. What a pity...

dream.fr looks like a good choice. The SAM3703 costs about 9€ and offers all I could ever need. Cool! Seems like I can simply connect an I2S codec and i'm ready go go.
I'm just afraid of the complexity...

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll dive into that dream.fr stuff and what I can do with it

They have example applications and evaluation /development boards http://dream.fr/pdf/Serie3000/Boards_Datasheets/3703FX-EK.pdf

I wanted to take a closer look too, especially at the guitar amp stuff with the 3703 or the 3416. But I also dreamed away building a midibox controlled mixer with the 3816. I have toyed around with one of their GM sound board chips, see

Most of the controlling could be implemented with MBNG I think.

Edited by EsotericLabs

The Spin Semi chip is perfectly controllable through an MCU (see this design). Not sure why you conclude it is higher quality. Both have similar specs if not the same (i couldn't find any difference reading both datasheets). I did not mention this before, but it comes with free IDE. So you can program your own effects.

Your module is ofcourse plug and play. So if you want a quick fix, that's the way to go.

As for the Spin, it only has three inputs for control, and they're all analogue. You can control the selected program from an MCU, but not advanced digital control of parameters.

(Unless you emulate an external ROM for it and change the code on the fly, I don't know how hard that'd be to get to work?)

Edited by niklasni1

@niklasni1: You're right, and that's the problem. Analog outputs are relatively expensive and the chip digitalizes its analog inputs anyway. So IMHO that the least elegant way of controlling the Spin. Unfortunately the problem is the same for the RA-FX1V.

@shuriken: I don't know if the RA-FX1V is higher quality than the Spin... But it offers many different reverb algorithms - whereas the spin only has two distinct reverbs. Also, the RA-FX1V has 16 programs and the Spin has only 7. Still, that's no proof of higher quality, but it fits my usecase a lot better. And it makes me think its better....
Actually you're right, they might even offer the same quality....

Okay, you can programm your own algorithms for the Spin. But I have absolutely no clue on programming good reverbs - and reverbs are the most important fx in a synth (at least for me). The RA-FX1V has so many of them, I have better chances finding a usefull one among them.

What really bothers me, is that none of the above solutions offer a synced delay.