MIDIbox NG V1.030 update issues

GMAprogrammer

Well i updated due to the issues i have with my motorfaders. I loaded the project.hex into mios studio and transfered it. But as the midibox restarts it doenst detect it anymore and i just recieve  "fc" at port 1.

What is wrong? I have manually repowered the core that doesnt help. Would be glad if you can give me an advise how to fix it.

Best regards Alexander

I need more input to understand the situation:

- with "doesn't detect it anymore" you mean the MBHP_MF_NG module?

- with "port 1" you mean "MIDI IN1"?

- who/what receives "fc" at port 1, resp. how did you determine this?

- what is your exact .ngc configuration?

- anything else special in your setup which would be important to know?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

ok, so a few minutes ago i ran the whole setup with an earlyer version of midibox ng without a problem except the motorfaderproblem i decribed in another thread. Than i decided to do the update to the latest version. I loaded the hex file into MIOS Studio and uploaded it to the core. the core restarts the core is detected as usbaudiogerät 1-4 and suddenly i got just an "fc" on all ports (usbaudiogerät 1-4) continuosly ... after a few minutes mios studio crashes. (The USB Audiogerät thingy is normal it cant be the issue)

I got back into bootploader hold mode now tried to upload it again -> same problem

.ngc configuration cannot be the problem i assume.

The MIOS Studio doesnt detect the core anymore as i try to run in with midibox_NG (querry Window) it do detect the bootloader.

Setup is a normal Module chain. But i guess the problem is much earlier in the setup at the core... unplugging the chain or the mf_NG Modules (MIDI PORT 2 I/O) doenst help.

best regards Alex

Ok, i digged out an old Version of NG (1.015) uploaded it... now i can acces the core again but my directly to the core connected Faders are sending out random events. cannot tell were that comes from now... it worked fine before. Will keep on troubleshooting.

Edited by GMAprogrammer

You are writing "0xfc continuously" - does it mean that there is a delay between each 0xfc (MIDI Clock Stop) event, e.g. 1..10...100 mS?

Or is it sent without any delay?

Compared to older versions, v1.030 got a MIDI Clock generator which would send 0xfc if it receives the same event from any MIDI IN port.

So: which MIDI device could send 0xfc at your side?

E.g. any device connected to a MIDI IN port, or maybe your DAW which sends to an USB IN, or could it be related to a feedback loop?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I think it is send withot any delay (or as fast as mios studio can display it). With the older version ive got the problem that my AINs on my core dont work anymore. But it also can be it has damaged something on the core for whatever reason... I got a broken fuse in my powersupply circuit so maybe there is an ic down or something similar. :/ the rest is working ok now. (with 1.015)

the feedback theorie is a good point but there ist no other mididevice hooked up to the pc and the core. I unplugged the MF_NG Modules which doesnt made any cahnges.

Would it be possible to get a previous version ? before 1.030

best regards Alexander

What happens if you enter following command into the .ngc file:

MidiFileClkOutPorts 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 

Note that you could also enter it interactively into the MIOS Terminal with:

ngc MidiFileClkOutPorts 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

with 1.015

If you've used v1.015 before, it doesn't surprise me that the motorfader control wasn't working correctly.

A lot of changes have been added until then based on various user requests.

Previous releases can be found under: http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/backup/

However, let's focus on the MIDI Clock Stop Command issue - I think that I've to add something into the firmware which prevents such a situation.

But I need to find out, what's special in your setup - therefore: than more observations that you could describe, than better.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well now i dont get any "fc" send anymore (switched to 1.030 again) ... but now theres nothing coming from the core anymore on the midi input side of mios studio...

ok well it doesnt detect the core anymore but when i press a button this is send out by the core. And when i acces the files on the sd card this also works fine. Everything is a bit confusing...

The AINs are still not working properly. Is there a IC on the core that could be broken?

Edited by GMAprogrammer

Just to ensure (because it seems that you are an lazy updater... ;-)) - are you using the latest MIOS Studio version?

ok well it doesnt detect the core anymore but when i press a button this is send out by the core. And when i acces the files on the sd card this also works fine. Everything is a bit confusing...

One explanation could be, that you haven't selected the *first* USB MIDI IN and the *first* USB MIDI OUT of the core module in MIOS Studio, but a mixed pair (e.g. first MIDI IN but second MIDI OUT... or similar).

Another explanation could be, that you are working under Windows.

In this case it's important that you are using MBNG V1.029 or higher (and the latest MIOS Studio version of course)

Previous MBNG versions didn't contain the special Windows workaround for multiple USB MIDI Ports.

The AINs are still not working properly. Is there a IC on the core that could be broken?

Analog inputs are directly connected to the LPC1769, there is no IC between these connections.

When you are writing that they are not working properly, does it mean that they are not working at all, or does it mean that unexpected AIN events are sent?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

You are writing:

ok when i start the Core with the MF_NG Modules Connected it falls into the "fc" loop. So i guess that is the issue...

Previously you wrote:

I unplugged the MF_NG Modules which doesnt made any cahnges.

Does it mean that the previous observation was wrong, and that disconnecting the MBHP_MF_NG module makes a change?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok, so i use the latest version of MIOS Studio. I have selected the first Midi In and the first Midi Out as usual.

The analog inputs dont send random midi events as if they are not connected. When i move the fader up i ge a midi note with velocity 2 or 1 or 3 (just one) and when i move it down i get a note off.

What do you say about the fc issue?

Best regards Alex

Does it mean that the previous observation was wrong, and that disconnecting the MBHP_MF_NG module makes a change?

No when i have the "fc" issue and then unplugg the MF_NG Modules it doenst make a change. Also when i start the core without the MF_NG Modules and the connect them there ist no "fc" issue. Just when i start the core together with the MF_NG Modules i get the issue. (Sorry observation is a bit confusing...need to calm down and do it step by step and dont rush forward)

Best regards Alex

The analog inputs dont send random midi events as if they are not connected. 

Btw.: when you are writing AIN, do you mean the analog inputs of the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module, or the analog inputs of the MBHP_MF_NG module?

And with "not connected" you hopefully mean, that the unused analog inputs are connected to ground to avoid that a core generates random events (e.g. when you touch with your fingers over analog inputs...)

When i move the fader up i ge a midi note with velocity 2 or 1 or 3 (just one) and when i move it down i get a note off.

Do you mean the faders connected to a MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module, or to a MBHP_MF_NG module?

How does your EVENT configuration for this fader look like?

Background: I added some extensions for analog input processing, maybe you are using an incomplete configuration which selects an unintended mode?

What do you say about the fc issue?

I will probably add a feedback detection into the next firmware version which avoids this situation.

But I guess that with the "MidiFileClkOutPorts" command you've a temporary solution which helps at your side, right?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok, so with AIN i mean the 8 Analog Ports on the Core. I dont have connected the unused Pins to Ground but they are disabled by the AIN Mask in the NGC File. From the Manual i have configured everything right for the AIN Ports. before the update i didnt had any issues with the AINs so i assume that it isnt a hardware bug.

maybe there is something broken on the core because i cant get the core to querry properly as it did before the update. I Will try on. Shame this happens now got a important gig on weekend. but this is how it goes,.

Best regards Alexander

So, before the Update i used 1.023.

and here ist my AIN Config

# Fader

# Master/Timefader

AIN enable_mask=110000
AIN pinrange=1:50:4000
AIN pinrange=2:50:4000

EVENT_AIN hw_id=1 type=NoteOn chn=10 key=21 range= 0:127 ain_mode=Direct
EVENT_AIN hw_id=2 type=NoteOn chn=10 key=22 range= 0:127 ain_mode=Direct

Edited by GMAprogrammer

The changed behaviour in V1.030 is related to the new Switch function, which ensures that a NoteOn/Off event is only sent once as requested here: 

So, you have a different use case which I haven't considered: you want to send continuous Note On events from an analog input like somebody is normally doing with CCs, right?

Here a modified version which disables the change for "AIN Switches", so that you can proceed with the analysis:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_ng_v1_031_modified_ain_notes.zip

Unfortunately this won't satisfy the needs of dOperator anymore... :-(

In future it will be required to enhance the EVENT_AIN configuration in order to select one of the contradicting use cases.

I did another change in this version: "MIDI Clock Inputs" are disabled by default now.

Could you please check if the "MidiFileClkOutPorts" workaround is still required at your side?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

TK! Your simply the best. Faders are now working as they should! No Workarround is needed with this version. The only thing that still keeps me thinking is why the core do not querry? i can acces the files with the file browser...and notes are recived as usual.

Well for the Moment i am more than happy. Even the Motorfader Problem seems to be solved. Need to test that out more but im confident.

Thank you again for your great support!

Best regards Alex

Alright, one issue solved :)

Could you please try this version? It should work without compatibility issues:

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midibox_ng_v1_031_pre1.zip

To the query issue: it would be interesting if Query works again if you disconnect/re-connect the core and restart MIOS Studio.

If this doesn't help: does it work after a Windows reboot?

Best Regards, Thorsten.