Alternate "Synch to Measure" Idea

phillwilson

Hi all,

I initially misunderstood what would happen when using the "Sync to Measure" button within the Clock Divider page...

I thought that this would be a way to "quantise" the dividing and un-dividing the clock of a track, so that they don't get out of sync with the main  "global"  tempo

a usage case would be :

I start with all tracks playing 16 steps at a divider of 8...

I then decide to half the tempo divider on 4 on one track

(currently this leaves it possibly out of time compared to the other tracks unless I go to the Manual Steps page and  re-align which has the downside of not being instant)

what I was expecting with sync to measure" is that my request to divide or multiply the clock would be "parked" as a command until the next time we came to step 1 on the sequencer. Thus keeping all tracks aligned even when running at a different clock speed.

----------------------

On a related, but separate note, I have noticed that inputting using the Live Record method on an empty track that has been divided during the performance seems to mean that even if I play exactly ON the beat (ie 1, 5,9,13 etc) when the sequence loops round, my input notes are shifted to a new position within the track ( quantize is at 50% btw)...

I don't know if this is a "bug" or a "feature" ?

As always all things mentioned here are meant only to encourage and expand the discourse on how the Midibox Seq is being used...I am 100% loving my machine and it already does so much more than any other box I own...I am just trying to throw these ideas out there.

Thanks

Phill

Hi Phill,

I thought that this would be a way to "quantise" the dividing and un-dividing the clock of a track, so that they don't get out of sync with the main  "global"  tempo

no, it "quantise" to the measure instead, and the measure length can be configured in the Utility->Opt page (it's 16 steps by default)

Whenever these number of steps have been played, the step progression (clock divider values and step position) of the tracks which activated this synchronisation option will be reset.

I start with all tracks playing 16 steps at a divider of 8...

I then decide to half the tempo divider on 4 on one track

(currently this leaves it possibly out of time compared to the other tracks unless I go to the Manual Steps page and  re-align which has the downside of not being instant)

All tracks which have enabled the sync option should be aligned again once the measure has been played.

I just tested this again at my side: it still works. :smile:

what I was expecting with sync to measure" is that my request to divide or multiply the clock would be "parked" as a command until the next time we came to step 1 on the sequencer. Thus keeping all tracks aligned even when running at a different clock speed.

This would be a slightly different approach, and I'm not sure if this is better than the current one.

Currently the tracks just continue to play until the 1st step of the measure is reached, then all tracks which have this synch option enabled will be restarted and are then aligned again.

On a related, but separate note, I have noticed that inputting using the Live Record method on an empty track that has been divided during the performance seems to mean that even if I play exactly ON the beat (ie 1, 5,9,13 etc) when the sequence loops round, my input notes are shifted to a new position within the track ( quantize is at 50% btw)...

The quantization works depending on the clock divider, and this might confuse you.

Means: with a clock divider of 16 (16th notes) one step takes 96 "clock ticks". With a quantisation of 50% the incoming MIDI event will be put into the next step if it's delayed by more than 48 ticks.

With a clock divider of 64 (4th notes) one step takes 384 ticks, therefore the incoming MIDI event will be put into the next step after a delay of 192 ticks.

So: the time window over which the quantisation takes place is much larger.

However, I think that 50% is a bad choice anyhow.

Most people prefer 10%

We had 20% by default some time ago, but users complained that this is too much.

Therefore I would propose to try smaller values.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

TK,

Once again thank you very much for being so generous with your time  and for replying to me.

I will take all of these new concepts on board and play around with your suggestions (and try not to bother you for some time) .

Please know that I do TRY to read the manual and forums before posting ,there is just SOO much good stuff in the Midibox :)

all the very best with your work

Phill