This is for they who use Cubase SX and MIDIBOX64

Guest OgO

I will say that this is only idea to try, not know that this is what you need to do, and it will be very exciting to keep replying for the results you have! Aren't we altogether much smarter then one?

I have found in Cubase SX that you can control a VST instrument with MIDIBOX64.

Here is a description what you need to do and test:

Under the File/New Project choose 'Empty' and choose the directory where you'd like to store the project files.

Under the Project/Add Track choose 'MIDI' track.

Under the Devices/VST Instruments choose the Steinberg's "a1".

under the in port choose the MIDI in port, and under the out choose a1.

Now click on the small 'e' icon in the Inspector window under the 'Channel' tab and the brown&green colored window will open(MIDI channel). The first 4 windows are inserts and the second 4 are sends. under inserts choose the MIDI effect named 'Control' and it will open automatically with possibility to choose 8 different controls, but that is on the first insert. Later you will understand what i mean with this.

Now, turn the a1 in edit mode to edit it's parameters. For example if you want to control the Cuttoff frequency on a1 the control number is 74. You can see that with pointing the mouse over the Cuttoff knob on the synth Go back to the MIDI Channel and on 'Control' plugin under the first control choose the 74th control or named as "Brightness". Hide the 'Control' window, the MIDI channel, and the synth if you have them open already.

And now:

1. it is an option to choose wheter you like to use the midibox_cubase_setup.xml script or to make your own script settings.

2. go in the Devices/Device Setup... menu

3. click on the Add/Remove tab and find 'Generic Remote' device, cilck on it and click on the Add button on the bottom right corner of the window. After that you will see on the left window the 'Generic Remote' device added.

4. click on it and and then click on the Setup tab. Choose the MIDI ports in/out which you have installed.

5. bellow the ports is the status which you need to edit it correctly for having great fun!

- click on the first row under the 'Control Name' tab and write 'Fader 1'.

- under the 'MIDI Status' tab choose 'Controller'.

- under the 'MIDI Channel' tab choose 1st channel.

- under the 'Address' tab choose the address to which fader you'd like to be 'Fader 1'.

- under the 'Max. Value' tab leave it as it is.

- under the 'Flags' tab i am not so sure, you need to test it wheter is ®eceive, (T)ransmit or ®elative.

6. in the second same window under the 'Control Name' tab write 'Fader 1'.

- under the 'Device' tab choose 'Midi Mixer'.

- under the 'Channel/Category' tab choose the named MIDI channel, by default is 'MIDI 01'.

- under the Value/Action tab choose 'Brightness Ins 1'.

- under the 'Flags' tab try to configure it by yourself, i don't know what the mother is that thing.

- on the bottom right corner choose 'Apply', turn off the window and try some tweaking, it would work.

If it does Congratulations to my tutorial, if not try to find me and spank my ass till death! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

The eplanation about how to use VST instruments and midibox is excellent. The only problems I realize are:

Total controled faders, buttons thru Midibox are 32.

Everytime you load an Instrument you need to create those relations in the control insert, unless if a default song is always loaded

As a guide for those who dont wanna mess up with the generic remote configuration I have post a file with the most usefull automation controllers check it out at

http://www.ucapps.de/howtocubase.html

opps sorry guys,

I would have got back to you but...............

I still haven’t had time to play around with it.

Been extremely busy @ home haven’t touched the MB64 in over a week  :( I think im suffering from withdrawal symptoms though (luckly I can still check this forum from my work computer ;)

Also found this in my travels:

I've been struggling finding a way to control VST effect parameters with a midi controller like the phat boy but NADA. On the other hand, everything makes believe it is possible to do: the mixer track object have midi control possible, houston looks like it can do it, there's the remote automation....

What am I doing wrong ?

IP: Logged

electro

member   posted 28 August 2002 21:39                

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same question. Does anyone know how to map the mod wheel of a Keyboard controller to an insert effect parameter in SX?

electro

member   posted 29 August 2002 23:18                

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?

Bells23

member   posted 30 August 2002 00:06              

use it through generic remote(pretty detailed in the manual)

n0s

new member   posted 30 August 2002 03:26                

As far as I know, Generic controller can control loads of things: EQ's, Mixer Faders, Effect send levels but *not* effect parameters (like the distortion level for example). Are U positive you can get this working using the generic remote ? Have u seen it working ?

Bells23

member   posted 30 August 2002 06:33              

yup try this,add your vst effect to whatever track,then go into the generic remote screen on the second lower half youll see fader 1 and device (vstmixer) on the right of that youll see channel category.

click there once and choose selected then click on the right of that, value/action and youll see the parameters of whatever effect your using choose one and hit learn.

let us know how it goes..

n0s

new member   posted 30 August 2002 06:47                

Man ! You made my day !

I've been doing a quick test here at work and it looks like it is going to B perfect... can't wait to try that in the studio !

Cheers.

electro

member   posted 07 September 2002 13:38                

Does anyone know how to control the parameters of multiple effects simulateneously with one

MIDI controller? In other words, can one knob or fader control a parameter of 5 inserts at once?

Bells23

member   posted 08 September 2002 05:23              

yes electro its done the same way just hit learn and tweak the same knob you have assigned to another parameter(in the generic remote screen)

n0s

new member   posted 08 September 2002 14:34                

Now I am really confused !

I tried the automation trick on my PC at home and it works like a breeze... but on a friends Mac, the insert parameters are not available... I only see the 'regular' VST mixer element. Is this feature available only from a certain version on ???