Request for two minor tweaks

jjonas

Hi,

I have two minor suggestions for improving usability (IMHO).

1. When saving a pattern, the interface is SMS-like. Say you want to give your pattern the category name "Lead". If you want to write "Lead" in an SMS on your cell phone, you press for "L", and then you can immediately start pressing another button to get to "e". With SEQ4, however, you have to wait until a threshold time runs out before you can start pressing for "e". If you don't wait, the "L" that you pressed in previously, will turn to "E".

This is just a matter of convenience, and a case can be made for why the present system is good. Personally I think it would be better if SEQ4 save naming was in line with SMS'ing, because probably people – most people anyway :-) – write more SMS's than save names on SEQ4, so I'd argue that is the more intuitive way.

2. If one is using Wilba's front panel PCB, you have perhaps 50% of the top menu level entries available directly with the press of one button or MENU+button combo. But the top menu does include stuff that you want access to but cannot reach with buttons, so to get to what you want, you need to skim through lots of redundant entries (Edit, Pattern, Mixer etc.; redundant because you can access them faster with buttons).

Would it be possible to have a file in the root directory of the SD card which is read once at boot, which would list all the top menu entries, and you could comment out the ones that you don't need, because you never access some functions through the top menu, but use buttons instead? That way when you hit the top level menu, you could always see 100% business?

Perhaps there's better solutions, this is just the one that occurred to me first. But it could also be no-one else feels this is a problem that needs a "solution".

What do people think?

I agree as well on both topics.

Especially number 2 would match with my plan to make the menu selection in the bookmark file implementation-independent (provide names instead of numbers).

So: once I've the names, it would also be possible to make everything which is related to pages configurable in a file without the danger that numbers are changing over different versions.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It isn't so easy to remove menu entries from the main page, but I came to a better idea: a configurable MENU page where you can define the shortcuts that you need. In conjunction with the bookmark page (press MENU+SELECT) you've up to 32 customizable short cuts for the different pages now.

So: Topic 1 is implemented

Topic 2 is partly implemented (although not like requested, but very useful for most people)

-> in V4.085

Best Regards, Thorsten.