1st midi box

Guest dafabe

I have been looking for a midi controler that emulates a big mixing desk for quite some time, as I have found nothing of the sort I was happy when someone pointed me to this site, however althought ther is alot of information here I dont really know when to start, I have decided to first build a small box with 8 nobs or so and then once i get that working, create a big 127 -  254  midi controler to control all my software from one big desk.

The small box, I would like an lcd display to display the controler number i.e. 1-8 and the value of that controler i.e. 0 -127, when the corisponding nob is turned. midi in and midi out.

I would just like to know when to start and what parts of the site i need to look at and what parts to ignore

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Guest Zzzz...

Hi....

Indeed i think also that the MIDIbox_plus_8 is the best option, but and this is a question...

Is it possible to integrate the PIC 18F into the PCB-layout of the midibox_plus_16 (instead of the 16F)?

Or does it give some problems in case of the quite different pinning in this PCB-layout in compare to the core_module? :-/

Just a question, wanted to know this...

Maybe also usefull for Dave, otherwise i would recommend him to build a core with a lcd, dinx, dinout and ainx with only 8 pots (instead of 64). But am not sure this will do trick...

???

If anyone has a good suggestion...please do...

Thanks in advance,

Erik

I'd say go for a full midibox.

build a core w/ lcd. din-dout will not be needed if programmed with vmidibox.

I think you can connect the 8 pots without using an AIN.

In this way, you'll keep the core to use it for your fuul size midibox!(you definitely are going to build one after you play one hour with those 8 pots!)

I agree with UClaros. It´s not such a biiiig difference in building a small MB8 or the big brothers (there are just more modules connected).

So starting with 8 pots is the most reasonable (reasons: UClaros).

The only question what you have to decide is: Pots or Encoders! You should know the advantages/disadvantages. And they can not be exchanged to each other (pots: AIN, encs: DIN).

You also dont have to make a 127-254 midi controller. 64 pots/encs are absolutely enough. why? Cause there´s a bankstick! Easily switch through CC#s 0-255 with four patches (first: 0-63 second: 64-127 and so on).

HAVE FUN!!! One of the best pages you could´ve found about MIDI DIY!!!  ;D

Thanks guys, I was also wondering if i have 2 midi 64 boxes had one controling midi controls 0-63 and the other controling controlers 64-127, could i rout the midi out of 1 to the midi in of the other and that way have a chain that alows me to control all 127 controlers at once?

Cheers,

Dave

I was also wondering if i have 2 midi 64 boxes had one controling midi controls 0-63 and the other controling controlers 64-127, could i rout the midi out of 1 to the midi in of the other and that way have a chain that alows me to control all 127 controlers at once?

Yes! (If the MidiBox64 "MidiMerger" option = ON)

...and you'll need 127 hands of course  ;)  ;D

Ok I have decided to just go for the big 64 midi box, I was thinking of using a vector board, (is this basicly a no-conductive board to plug all your components on to and then conect them with wires at the back?)