Quad IIC not detected with STM32F4

KWK

Hi Community,

First, the midibox seq was my first DIY project, i'd like to thanks all of you, super project that gave me the fever of building hardware: an addiction is born :-) I read you a lot, and all is thanks to you. I was sequencing using a korg EMX (bad...!!), what a progress with this super Midibox Seq !

Almost all working good : STM32F4, 2x Midi I/O Module & Wilba Frontpanel. I want to add a Quad IIC module but here start the problem.. The IIC ports are not detected (Mios "System" and IICX * in the sequencer).

It doesn't seam to be a connection problem (plug on J4A) :

- 5V between Vd and Vs of the Quad IIC module

- continuity between pin 7 of each PIC16F88 of the Quad IIC module and PB11 of the core (SD)

- continuity between pin 10 of each PIC16F88 of the Quad IIC module and PB10 of the core (SC)

I verified all solders on each module (Quad & Core), all seam good. The components are the rights ones too. I use the last version of the soft (V4.090), all Midi I/O ports working, no bugs detected.

I don't understand why it doesn't work .. remain IIC ports not detected, and no LED working neither.

Someone maybe have had the same problem ? Or can tell me what kind of test I can do to find the error ?

Big thanks (and big respect) again for Midibox.

Kind and warm regards

Fanch

Hello Community,

I tried during this week-end to find out what could be the origin of the IIC detection problem. I can now affirm that is not a connection problem. But some things seam strange to me. Electrical observations (according to MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 module schematic) :

When plugged on J4A :

- on the core module, continuity between PB10 & PB11 (in one way only) > is this normal ? effect of D1 ?

- on the quad IIC module, 5V between Vs and Vd > ok

- on the quad IIC module, 3.7V between Vs and Sc > ok

- on the quad IIC module, 5V between Vs and Sd > is this normal ? no effect of R8A ? I test the resistor alone, 2.2Kohm ok.

--> Maybe because R7A and R8A are connected together ? Normal ?

When plugged on J4B :

- on the core module, no continuity between PB6 & PB9 > seams more normal to me, but different to J4A

- on the quad IIC module, 5V between Vs and Vd > ok

- on the quad IIC module, 3.7V between Vs and Sc > ok

- on the quad IIC module, 3.7V between Vs and Sd > seams normal, but different to J4A

I read that the IIC module was "Plug & Play", then I guess there is no need to boot/load a firmware for this module ? Am I right ? I'm not 100% sure ... At this time, I do nothing with the soft, only hardware building then plug.

I also see the "IIC Midi sw Loopback" to test the module, but I don't have the necessary computer skill to use it ...

J4B seams to have a more normal behaviour to me than J4A. But there are 4 IIC in the seq, that means only J4A is detected ? How to extend to 8 IIC midi OUT ports ? Maybe J4B would work ?

Thanks all of you.

Warm regards & Peace.

Fanch

R7aR8a.JPG

Edited by KWK
errors corrected

I feel like a wimp and inert dick :decayed:

I was assuming that with new software versions, plug and play means no programming ... without thinking that those 4 pics should be programmed too (whereas it is clearly written on ucapps website ...).

Thanks a lot for you answer. I will buy (when available) to midibox shop the programmed PIC16F88... And will tell here if the only problem was this one.

Btw, if someone here (for not waiting midibox shop availability - impatient mood) sells those programmed pics, I'm interested.

Peace.

Fanch

• 2 weeks later...

Hi community,

Today I receive chips programmed from Mike. My quad IIC module is now detected by the seq, and all IIC ports work.

This was the error then :)

@Latigid on I added to send the firmware by e-mail to mike for him taking into account the programming. Then I guess if you don't ask anything, your PICs aren't programmed..

Thanks all

Friendly regards

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

DIAMEX PIC PROG works fine and is the recommendation of TK. Or, send the PICs to one of many on the forum and we can program them for you :).

I had two PICs from SmashTV (since several years) two from Mike (since a few years) and two virgin ones from Mouser. Of the pre-burned ones, one was faulty, even after erasing and re-flashing. So I'm sure the PICs from Mike had the bootloader burned in, but maybe a handling error on my side caused an issue. In any case, I have the Quad IIC working well now!

Which burning software are you using? 

I've got a PICKit3 and I use the Microchip software running on OSX. There is an option somewhere (I can't remember where) that you have to tell the software to power the chip while burning, it's somewhere in the advanced options IIRC.