Can encoders send NRPN values with inc/dec?

jjonas

Hi,

in the user manual's .NGC part, the EVENT_ENC intro section says, "An encoder can send and receive MIDI events. In 'absolute mode' it will handle a value internally, in incremental modes it will just send an inc/dec event and expects the handling of the resulting value at the host site.",

However, in the possible enc_modes list, there is no enc_mode=relative, enc_mode=inc_dec or something, which would allow me to send NRPN value increment/decrement commands, instead of absolute values. If EVENT_ENC is type=NRPN, MIOS Studio shows that MBNG is sending the CCs for NRPN selection (98 and 99), and then the absolute value, but is there a way I can send CCs 96/97 for value increment/decrement with NRPNs, instead of absolute values?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

relative changes can be sent with the various relative value modes, example:

EVENT_ENC    id=  1  type=NRPN  chn= 1  nrpn=1  enc_mode=40Speed
EVENT_ENC    id=  2  type=NRPN  chn= 1  nrpn=2  enc_mode=40Speed
EVENT_ENC    id=  3  type=NRPN  chn= 1  nrpn=3  enc_mode=40Speed
EVENT_ENC    id=  4  type=NRPN  chn= 1  nrpn=4  enc_mode=40Speed

Aside from 40Speed, there is also 00Speed, Inc00Speed_Dec40Speed, Inc41_Dec3F, Inc01_Dec7F, Inc01_Dec41

These are all "relative values" (I guess that this is for what you asked for)

Sending different NRPN numbers would be possible with conditional events.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread, but because the original was by me and this is the exact same issue, I thought I'll reply here (rather than make a new post and refer to this one).

Today I tried all these modes on my DSI Tetra, but they all change the target parameter between two values, rather than increment or decrement it by one step. to To try I put the enc_mode=xx in a line like this:

EVENT_ENC id=65  hw_id=1     label="@(2:1:1)Frq1%B@(1:38:2)%03d"  type=NRPN  chn=12  nrpn=0

I've used my own Arduino-based controller to do it like this:

MIDI.sendControlChange(99, NRPN_MSB + MSB_modifier, sendCh);
MIDI.sendControlChange(98, NRPN_LSB, sendCh);
MIDI.sendControlChange(CC, 1, sendCh); // send increment or decrement value by 1

In other words, select the target NRPN, then use either CC96 or CC97 for increment or decrement by the given value (=1). Is this possible?

An example setup for this use case can be found here: https://github.com/midibox/mios32/blob/master/apps/controllers/midibox_ng_v1/cfg/tests/conev_1.ngc

# send CC#96 if value is incremented
EVENT_ENC  id=2000  hw_id=2000  enc_mode=Inc01_Dec7F  if_equal=0x01  type=CC cc=96 lcd_pos=1:1:2 label="Enc INC"

# send CC#97 if value is decremented
EVENT_ENC  id=2001  hw_id=2000  enc_mode=Inc01_Dec7F  if_equal=0x7f  type=CC cc=97 lcd_pos=1:1:2 label="Enc DEC"

Best Regards, Thorsten.

How to select the target NRPN to increment/decrement in that case? An event can't be type=CC and type=NRPN simultaneously, and trying to use the same enc with different id's to both select the target NRPN and then increment or decrement with CC96/97 it hasn't worked in any of the combinations I tried.

Below one of the things I tried. Three absolute mode NRPN encoders (hw_id=2-4) and one (hw_id=1) where turning hw_id=1 only increments/decrements the most recent parameter, but doesn't select any parameter on its own:

EVENT_ENC id=1   hw_id=1    label="@(2:1:1)Attk "   range=0:0 type=NRPN  chn=12  nrpn=23
EVENT_ENC id=9   hw_id=1    label="@(2:1:1)Attk "   enc_mode=Inc01_Dec7F  type=CC  cc=96  if_equal=0x01  chn=12
EVENT_ENC id=11  hw_id=1    label="@(2:1:1)Attk "   enc_mode=Inc01_Dec7F  type=CC  cc=97  if_equal=0x7f  chn=12

EVENT_ENC id=3   hw_id=2    label="@(2:6:1)Dcay "   range=0:127  type=NRPN  chn=12  nrpn=24

EVENT_ENC id=5   hw_id=3    label="@(2:11:1)Sust "  range=0:127  type=NRPN  chn=12  nrpn=25

EVENT_ENC id=7   hw_id=4    label="@(2:16:1)Rel  "  range=0:127  type=NRPN  chn=12  nrpn=26

(I also tried selecting the NRPN with CC98 and 99, but wasn't successful.)

There is a trick which might help here: a SysEx stream can also send "common" events, which means: we can just put all CCs into a single String.

Example:

EVENT_ENC id=1   hw_id=1    label="@(2:1:1)Attk "   enc_mode=Inc01_Dec7F  if_equal=0x01  type=SysEx stream="0xbb 99 0 98 23 96 1"
EVENT_ENC id=1   hw_id=1    label="@(2:1:1)Attk "   enc_mode=Inc01_Dec7F  if_equal=0x7f  type=SysEx stream="0xbb 99 0 98 23 97 127"

Best Regards, Thorsten.

That's it!! This works, with the small correction that the sent decrement value shouldn't be 127, but 1 just like with the increment:

EVENT_ENC id=3   hw_id=2     label="@(2:6:1)Dcay "  enc_mode=Inc01_Dec7F  if_equal=0x01  type=SysEx stream="0xbb 99 0 98 24 96 1"
EVENT_ENC id=3   hw_id=2     label="@(2:6:1)Dcay "  enc_mode=Inc01_Dec7F  if_equal=0x7f  type=SysEx stream="0xbb 99 0 98 24 97 1"