Ramps and Fades

mongrol

Hi Folks,

I really need some help doing fades (ramps?) on the SEQ as I find the current methods quite clunky and unintuitive.

Take a simple volume fade-in. The way I see it I could map the LFO to CC7 (in my case) and do a one shot. I really struggle with this getting the parameters right, offset, step etc. I always end up with a fade in then fade back out.

I could also use the CC track. But this means manually creating the fade every step which is awful if your track is longer than the visible 16 steps. This way also means the fade resolution is per step. Not good.

My ideal method would be to set a CC step at teh fade start, then a CC step at the fade end and have the SEQ automatically calculate the fade on the fly between the two points and at substep (ppq?) resolution to smooth the fade. It could also have a number of different slopes (linear etc).

I keep thinking I must be missing something obvious as the current methods are so clumsy to me as to be almost unusable. How do others do it?

You can do ramps with the ALL button. See 4.2.3 of the beginners guide: http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=mididocs:seq:beginners_guide:start#working_on_the_edit_page

...if you move any knob other than the one in the current cursor position, the sequencer will generate a descending or ascending ramp between the present cursor position and the knob you turn. This way you can generate e.g. velocity ramps easily...

Ah sussed it thanks. My Datawheel option was set to Cursor instead of Stepview. As soon as I changed it I could do ramps outside of 16 steps. Looks like there's a bug with Cursor as when you try to move outside the 16 steps, even using FF and twist a step, it only changes the original 16 steps even though the view indicates your somewhere else.

With stepview enabled the All ramping works perfectly.