midi to pc NOT with usb

ladybug

jah people   ::)

i have seen the USB module and its way over my soldering skills !

me searching for a circuit to connect MIDI to the soundcard midi port (joystick)

must be simple (parts AND soldering) !

must be stand alone (not part of MBHP) !

with no external power needed !

preferably 2 ins and 2 outs !

in + out LEDs !

is it going to be faster or slower then the USB ?

what is the USB latency ?

what is the above latency

it must be a stand-alone !!

the midi to com is NOT stand-alone !!

it would be great if it WAS stand-alone, because i read somewhere that it is 20% faster the usb !! true ?

is there a such device ?

i've seen the to-gameport device, it have only 1 in - i need MORE - at least 2 !

which connection is faster : com / gameport / usb ??

Im pretty sure that it´s not possible to have more than one input on a gameport. Build two to-gameport boxes i´ve done that and it works great. Then and another cheap sound card or if you are not already uning the gameport on the motherboard, use that.

js

Following: All MIDI ports are the same speed (no matter if USB or any other port).

The LTC is a *special* port for MBHP which is a little faster (doesn't matter anyhow with those low bandwidths).

A game port can only handle 1 In and 1 out (hardware issue).

Latency means the time difference between the key being pressed and the computer knowing it has been pressed. With MIDI its pretty useless to go to the lowest latency, cause they're all pretty low (again because oh those low bandwidths). So it doesn't matter whether you use USB Firewire serial parallel game or any other ports - theyre all appr. the same speed.

In and out LEDs: *Only* with power supply (either external or USB or whatever).

Greets!  :)

With MIDI its pretty useless to go to the lowest latency, cause they're all pretty low (again because oh those low bandwidths)

mmm are you sure ;) latency has nothing to do with midi's bandwidth (as long at it's not too low, because very low bandwith made big latency), it's on transmiter and receiver side.

By the way usb, parallel, serial(which is about 25% faster, but if you can use this one with all midi machine) or what ever you want is not going to improve or not latency.

Midi In and Out with a joystick soundcard connector is very easy to do (and you can have led if you want), but as pay_c and js said only one input and one output.... you can use 2 of this interface on 2 joystic connector (soundcard + mother board sound card maybe?)

mmm are you sure ;) latency has nothing to do with midi's bandwidth (as long at it's not too low, because very low bandwith made big latency), it's on transmiter and receiver side.

Yeah, you're right. Got some point wrong there, sorry. But anyhow: Pretty the same wether parallel serial USB or whatever...  ;)

Guest cem3340

The circuit you link to is pretty much the bog standard midi to TTL type affair. If you are seeking 2 midi ins using the standard joystick/soundcard interface you will need to use a midi merger to achieve this. See Thorsten's site for details on a merger. Note, you will still be limited to 2 incoming data streams on 16 channels of 1 port, not 32 channels(16 x 2) on 2 midi ports.

Back to the linked circuit, also note that the 2 output ports simply mirror the 16 channels of the single midi port. Not 32 (16 x 2) channels across 2 seperate midi ports. You might consider building 2 simple TTL to midi IO interfaces and installing a secong audio card. This is usually quite simple (especially if you disable the audio functions of the second card. ie no addressing or interupt conflicts). Doing this will allow you to have 32 midi channels (16 x 2) spread over 2 ports.

As to the circuit itself, yes it works very well. I use one myself.. ;D

Ciao