MIDIfying a Soundtracs Jade to control Protools

xarolium

Hello every Midi Diyer,

Some time ago i bought a Soundtracs Jade console 48 channels. What a wonderful no so expensive console it is !

The first version of the Jade console came with a "TrackMix2" old computer that allow users to automate the VCAs of each channels, but this system is completely obsolete and nobody know how to upgrade it (i contacted Tim from www.studiosystems.co.uk  but he doesn't know anything about it, no schematic of service manual...)

So i decided to recreate those but with more fun function like controlling protools parameters.

I use the HUI protocol to control faders and mute but i only can control 8 faders at a time as i have 48 of them on the console. So HUI protocol is very limited.

Then i would like to control the "Read", "Touch", "Latch" ... functions with the SEL  (Cf picture) button on the channel. Originally this button was used to control the old computer.

The thing is that HUI protocol do not allow me to control this parameters. I tried to sniff protools midi out when changing this parameter and it return : B0 0C 0x, B0 2C 4x (where x is one of the eight zones).  So i send this data from my µC: B0 0F 0x, B0 2F 4x (like describe on the HUI protocol) and protools return to the µC  two sysex array :

• F0 00 00 66 05 00 10 00 52 65 61 64 F7
  • F0 00 00 66 05 00 10 00 41 75 64 31 F7

As i know "F0 00 00 66 05 00" is the Header, 10 00 describe a Text message and the letter "Read". then "Aud1" the channel name

So it's not what i expected.

Do you have some information about how to control "Read", "Touch", "Latch" parameters in protools ? Is it a protocol that allow me to control more than 8 channels at the time ?

I saw the is interface for SSL4000: Tangerine for SSL and on the demo the guy control those parameters with the SSL with HUI protocol. But HOW ? i asked him but no respons

Thank you for your help

Jade console channel Sel button.png

Ok after i wrote the first topic i found how to control Trim, Read, latch, Auto functions of the channel. I simply was trying to use the wrong zone.

As describe on this table, Port18 is used to control those parameters and i did it with success ;)

The only thing i still have to found is how to control more than 8 faders at the same time

Thank you for your help

HUI port.png

Hello

PT can handle 4 HUI devices

At NGC you should define events to the different midi I/O.

e.g for USB:

All data to/from HUI n°1 with port=1000.....

All data to/from HUI n°2 with port=0100.....

etc

then select the corresponding midi port at HUI setting in PT

Best

Zam

Hi

Ok... I was thinking you where stuck with 8, so I give a solution for 32 (max allowed simultaneously)

You should be able to bank channels (zone 0a) to swap per 8 BUT in your specific use case where analog hardware can't be "relative" channel as it physically link audio to the channel you have no solution, except using a DAW that allow more controller units.

Maybe you already do but did you make a call at GS or GroupDIY for the schemo

Automating VCA is possible with MIOS, but without schemo and initial system spec it's difficult (need time to reverse engineer the VCA section)

Best

Zam

Zam,

Thank you for your answer

The problem is not how to interface the console with the DAW cause it already works pretty well. The issue is that actually protools allow me to set only four HUI interface so it's 32 channels and i would like to control 48 channels.

My question is how to modify this 8 channels per HUI limit or is there an other protocol  that allow me to control 48 channels.

Hello

As I say, you can't modify the 32ch HUI limitation in PT

You should be able to control way more channels in PT from your desk (remote) by using the fader bank

Still I don't know how it react with 32 channels, dose the flip go per 8 meaning 1 to 32 then 9 to 40 etc...

Or flip per 32, 1 to 32 then 33 to 64, you have to try.

Anyway this will not be bidirectional. if you flip let say from 1-32 to 33-64, your first console channel no longer link to first PT channel which might be a problem in your use case as I understand it now.

In fact the question is, do you need desk analog channel to be locked to the same PT channel all the time ?

Ok, so you already hook the VCAs ?

About protocol...

In PT you have no options, HUI is 4, EuCon I don't know, but you won't get the protocol spec...

In DP I'm able to use as many MCU modules as I want.

Best

Zam

• 1 year later...