Question about aout max525

msi

:-/ Isn´t that a little hard? I mean getting two samples is no prob, but if you can´t get anymore (those "samplefree times" or so) paying 30 Euros per chip (60 for the AOUT, right?) *is* really hard...

Aren´t there some pin-compatible ICs? A little more like ... ... cheaper?  ;D

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Thorsten!

Just some more quick questions about the MAX525 and the MAX6007B:

Will your final design use the DIP or the SSOP (smd) package variant of the MAX525?

There are two versions of the 525:

-MAX525A with a Integral Nonlinearity (INL) of +- 1/2 LSBs

-MAX525B featuring a INL of +- 1 LSB

Which one do I need? Is there any noticeable difference when the device is used in an aout-module? Could I order samples of both versions? That way one could get 4 samples instead of just 2...

And  what does Integral Nonlinearity mean in the first place? Some sort of conversion accuracy?

Finally, is there any reason to use the MAX6007B? The MAX6007A seems to offer better temperature compensation. Could I use both kinds? That would allow me to order 4 samples...

Regards,

Dr. Nick

Hi,

I've no idea about the differences, couldn't it be found in the datasheets? I've just selected some random ones ;-)

I will use the DIL variants of course. Only the MAX6007 is a SMD (no alternative solution available).

Btw.: maybe I will also take alternative, cheaper MAX ADCs with lower resolutions into account, any suggestions from the experts?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest Zzzz...

Hi...

There are no differces between the A or B type.

This is just the additional code which Maxim uses to specify some physical, thermal (etc) proporties of the chips.

Take a look at this link, although it's says the A and B are

output accuracy's. A means 5%, but what B means in this case isn't mentioned.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/qa/info/naming_conventions/

If you sample: you should take the MAX525AEPP, this is PDIP 300 version, unless you want to do some very tiny soldering.

Another option is the MAX537AEPE, also PDIP... but some voltage differnce...although I can't confirm this for sure that's chip is able to work (also it's more expensive than the 525)...hadn't had the time to figure this out...If somebody know the true answer ...speak up...

Is there already any experimental PCB layout in Eagle...for this circuit, TK?

Currently busy doing the tiny version...Anyone has done the PDIP version?

Hope this was a answering post...

Grtz

Erik

BTW.: Sorry, couldn't find a cheaper alternative, but that's probably because I'm not an expert... :-/

//edit:

MAX5250 - 10 bit resolution . ??? $4.95

Is there already any experimental PCB layout in Eagle...for this circuit, TK?

No - but good news for the AMUX extension: last sunday we got the first version running with 64 S&H output channels. Sorry, no more information about this, documentation is sooo much effort... ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well, I did some reading in the datasheets. What fun that was!

The MAX6007A seems to be more temperature stable:

Initial accuracy 0,3%, temperature coefficient 30ppm/degC

MAX6007B:

Initial accuracy 0,5%, temperature coefficient 70ppm/degC

Plus, the "A" version costs a little more... Might be the "better" one, but I don't know if that really matters when it's used in the aout.

And Maxim offers a ADC / DAC glossary:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/641

"integral nonlinearity (INL) error:   The amount of deviation of the measured transfer function of an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) or a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) from the ideal transfer function (defined as a straight line drawn from zero to full scale). (Sometimes a "best-fit" straight line is used where the ideal transfer function is represented by a straight line drawn between the end points of the actual transfer function. This method is referred to as "end-point linearity.") The INL error is also defined as the sum of the DNL errors starting from code 000 to the code where the INL measurement is desired."

Is it really that simple? (Well, ok, I don't really get it. Didn't even try to...)

Seems that the MAX525A offers better conversion accuracy. At Schuricht it costs about 10 Euros more than the 525B... must be better!

Oh well, guess I'll try to get 4 samples of the 525. 2 MAX525AEPP and 2 MAX525BEPP. Both are ("big") DIP versions. The BEPP offers less accurate conversion, but at a 12 bit resolution, who cares about the least significant bit (LSB)? Or even half of it? I don't.

Then again, I'm pretty far from being an expert when it comes to DACs.

The main purpose of a sample is to try the differences out ;-)

Some words to accuracy of the MAX6007: the temperature coefficient does matter on extreme temperature differences. This is no issue for a synth application, no?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...