core and sid problems

kriz

hi,

i have finised the core and the sid module and i have some problems:

1    I have burned the pic correctly (18f), but when i try to start up the core, i get no midi out. The pic is fine (burned 2 just to be sure), the voltage is fine. My midi on my pc is also working, but when i try to send the mios, it gets no sysx data (the one where it say's it's ready to recieve the firmware).

2    on my sid the voltage of IC1 is not 9 volt. I use a C64 power supply, and i measured the voltages. Could there be a problem with the mixed voltages that id nead's? (i used the schematic for 1 core and 1 sid)

For 1:

Do you have any MIDI LEDs connected? They should light up as soon as MIDI data is sent (as soon as you turn on the PIC).  If not: Measure the voltage of the MIDI Out pin. It should make some "jumps" when MÃŒDI is sent (without MIOS every second or so). (All that is for the hardware check if the Sysex String is sent properly)

Perhaps it´s just a setup thing within MIDIOX.

For 2:

Did you use the PSU Recycle schematic of TK? If not, do it! If yes: You also did put in the 7809, right?

Greetz!  ;D

1  i measured the voltages on te midi out, and it jumps 0.01 volt every second, is this what you mean?

2  i did use the schematic from tk, so that's not the problem. Could there be a problem with the mixed voltages that go the the ac2 out on the schematic?

1: Errr. no. Should jump up and go down really good. Best would be testing it with an Osci.

So, check all your stuff (resistors, soldering stuff ...). Also check the voltage directly at the Out Pin of the PIC (don´t know what that one was now - just look up in the schematics).

The PIC and all other stuff is getting the right voltage? (5V?) Is the crystal isolated & is it a 10 Mhz one (for 18Fs)?

Really weird...

2: No, the schematic is really fine. I use it myself, and many other people, too. So, the problem can´t be there. Just check your PSU board if you soldered everything correctly (sometimes these breadboards can be tricky).

Yre you getting the right voltages out of the PSU board? (0,5V,14V?) And also check the PSU itself. Is it running properly? (We´re talking about 20 year old stuff!)

Really hope you can find the error.

Greetz again :)

i traced the power problem of the sid to the mixed voltages on ac2. Could i connect the other line of the ac current to the to the other pin of ac2 or would this blow up the circuit?

the problem with the core i think has to do with the cristal, and i wil replace it and check again tomorrow.