Troubleshooting Wilba hardware or SEQv4+ software bug

workspace

After using my SEQv4 for several years, I have encountered a strange bug that may be hardware or software related.

When I select track button 3 or 4 in edit mode and activate step 1 and 2 (GP1 + GP2), these buttons and the step view button are freezed and can't be changed anymore unless I select a different mode or track. Since I think I am the first to have this problem, I suspect it is a hardware error. All these buttons are connected to DOUT3 of shift register U7. But swapping this IC with the other 74HC595 didn't help.

Is this still a software bug? It would help if somebody with a wilba panel could confirm or deny this strange behavior. DOUT3 is the only SR of the shift register, that has 2 free pins. Maybe this is a problem?

Thanks and a happy new sequencing year to everybody!

Michael

Grüssi Michael,

I would suggest to first check the tactile switches as these often go bad.

I would highly doubt a software error, but I tried it on mine and couldn't replicate your error. Just the switches were bad and needed extra effort to push.

The only other thing might be a bad diode or LED, but I would think that that's really unlikely.

Best,
Andy

Dear Andy

Thanks for checking on your side. I bought two replacement 74HC595 today and everything is back to normal :grin:

But indeed, those Matias switches look very nice! Maybe I will pimp my SEQv4 at some day. In the meantime it is mainly the "brain" because I control most of it with one of your wonderful 1st gen BLMs!

But then the 2nd gen is quite tempting... the only thing I miss are more OUTs (4xI2Cs) to run it standalone. Any thoughts in this direction?

Greetings Michael

Very nice! I really wonder what happened to those 595s? Could it be oxidation on the sockets? 

For ports, I think we will stick to the 8x MIDI outs currently available. I know Peter controls over 30 synths by using Thru splitters and that works just fine too. But as another idea, you could always repurpose the old SEQ as a glorified router? 

Best,
Andy