chrome plate ya panels!

d2k

It's a great thought, etc....but.....You might want to know that one of the by-products of this process is hexavalant<sp> chromium, which causes cancer and other massive health problems.  If hex cro sounds familiar, it's the stuff that was killing people in the Erin Brockovich movie, based on a true story, and was a huge lawsuit/settlement here in the US.

Back when I was younger you could find a custom chrome shop anywhere that did car parts and motorcycle parts to chrome your stuff.  Now the EPA (environmental protection agency) has outlawed parts of the process, since hex cro seeps into the water table so easily and does not filter out when waste water is returned to the water supply.  So now when you need to get something chromed, it costs a fortune if they use the old process (waste fees, etc) or you can have a newer process done thats more legal but still expensive and much less durable.

Bottom line is that this produces tainted water, that can't be released into the water supply, can't be concrete mixed, etc. that causes severe problems for people even with minimal exposure.  Sure wish they would have figured this out in the 70's!

Most countries have environmental laws that forbid this process.

I'm not a chemist (as you can see!) so if you have any interest in this please read any info related to the Erin Brockovich case(s), this info is plentiful on the net.

Be safe, wear a respirator, don't bury or burn the evidence!

Smash

I almost forgot to mention, there are chrome paints on the market that when sealed correctly with clear are impossible to tell from a real chrome job.  The bonus to these is that you can put a mirror (or matte) finish on anything you can spray paint.

Also here in my area some auto dealer body shops have powder coating rigs, I used to have soda machines powder coated when I would restore them, and I have had a few smaller parts and control panels powder coated.  Extremely durable when done correctly.

Have fun!

Smash