PCB for Midibox SID

Hermes

Hello everyone

I am building a quad midibox SID and I was wondering about the following subject:

If I etch my own pcbs, using Thorsten' s *.pdf files, will that affect the sound quality of the SID synth?

Would it be better to order the pcbs from mike' s shop? I am looking for a cost effective solution - I know how to etch pcbs, but I don' t want to jeopardize the sound quality!!

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Dimitris (Hermes)

No, not at all. The main quality points that influence it are the PSU (!! Use TK´s solution) and the grounding (best u use a aluminium case which is completely grounded - and don´t make sandwiches (meaning two or more PCBs over each other).

The only thing what can happen you at the beginning is that you have to experiment a little with the etching (up to now about 20 - 10 % of my boards were rubbish - all other were good and work up to now).

Greetz!

Guest analouge

Hi!

I've done some etching before and it isn't that hard... It wasn't a big cuircit though, just a simple FM transmitter I had some fun bugging neighbours during bingo hour on the radio to overide the signals - pretty fun :), though it came to a rough end when a local police man found out about it :)... I did it the really old fashioned way - drawing with pen on the board, then etched it... up and down - up and down and so on... hehe.. The most difficult part by making the pcb was to design the pcb layout from the schematics I got from a friend... I was about 11-12 yrs old back then, and I didn't find it very difficult to do, but then I am a fast learner... And it takes a little bit too long for me to etch as I am a very impationt person from time to time... especially the boring process of the actual etching :)

HOWEVER... all I ever did was to design pcb's by hand, and the whole computer design is new to me... so I just wondered; HOW do I get to print the pcb layout that TK made in size 1:1?

if you can find a pdf of the circuit, just make sure the options shrink large pages to fit and expand small pages to fit , or anything like that are not checked. then do a test and hold a socket up to it and be sure the pins line up.you can try the same with any other image, but i find the pdf worked best for me.