encoders availability (again)

Steven_C

As there seems to be quite a few of us in Australia who want encoders (Also good idea for other countries?), why don't we petition one of the retailers to stock a cheap, but good encoder suitable for MIOS?

This may also work for other parts we need!

maybe Futurlec, as they are international, and this would be helpful for people all around the world!

or Jaycar, just for Australia/New Zealand.

Switches Plus (www.switchesplus.com.au) stock encoders... I was after the ALPS 16mm non-detented "audio-feeling" ones (model EC16B24304) but they said ALPS suggest the newer, smaller ones.

From Switches Plus, I picked up ALPS tactile switches with long shafts, (model SKHHDH) I think the same that TK used on his SID... 10-99 = AU$0.44, 100+ = AU$0.34 (plus GST)

I didn't get an encoder quote but I reckon the price will be relatively good. I could probably arrange a bulk order if there are enough interested in getting a decent number for a good price, ie. I'm not going to bother them for anything less than a 100+ order, because they may have to import them.

Post here with the number of encoders you need... don't forget to add a couple more spares. Once the numbers hit 80 or so, I'll arrange a deal, people can pay me via Paypal.

This offer is not exclusive to Aussies - if you're willing to pay the postage to your country, come on board.

** UPDATE **

Specs are here:

http://wilba.lowerdimension.com/EC12E122_0511.pdf

The deal is for the EC12E244, vertical type, no switch (that's my choice only because it seems the best one to get, it might not be available).

meeshka, Don't do it. This is a complete and utter rip-off. Farnell are wierd. There are some good things about them, but most of their prices are ridiculous. (but the one in Sydney sometimes has ridiculously cheap bargins in the sale bin at the trade counter. I recently got an analogue multimeter, and a digital multimeter for $5.au each. Cheaper than buying new leads, and battery for the old one! I also got a Weller 12V iron for Aussie $20. Normally about $70!)

Wilba, I don't need any encoders, BTW, I got some recently from Nat, and also from Ian (thanks guys). The reason I started this thread was just because I thought it was a good idea for other people, and as a long term solution.

...Steve

Guest psytron

Steven_C :- who do you think we would have the best chance with (petitioning wize). perhaps we need to focus on one company then if that doesnt work then try another. my thoughts are that futurlec would be a good start (for the same reasons as you). If you agree then we could start a thread called

"do you need encoders"

then please send an email (here)

asking for (perhaps narrow it down a little to 3 or 4 types of encoders.

i.e. model xxxxx detent no switch

model xxx11 detent switch

model 11111 nodetent no switch)

p.s. what do you think??

Perhaps you are right... Futurlec are probably the best ones to petition. In case people didn't know, they ship stuff straight out of Bangkok, so they are in a prime position to import ALPS parts from the factory, and they seem to specialize in upmarket hobbyists like us (they stock PIC18F452 chips, serial EEPROMs, etc.) PLUS their shipping is cheap.

I am on good terms with the Futurlec sales manager (having emailed him in the past a few times) so if there aren't any objections, I can write him an email regarding this idea.

I agree with you psytron, Wilba, and meeshka.

meeshka, yes their site isn't complete. (They told me in an email that 40x2 LCD with backlight is available, even though it is not listed on the site... wierd!)

But don't let me stop you from doing your special group orders if that is what you really want to do!  ;)