Midibox64 SEQ

kieran

Hi Thorsten

- this is reposted from the "latest news" section

Will the sequencer differ markedly from the MHBP standard MB64? (apart from 64 LEDs..   )

I certainly do like the idea of a four track sequencer almost more than the use the MB64 has as a software/hardware midi controller..  

So would it ever be possible to control one (perhaps called) Midibox65 which contains perhaps two cores (once with new PIC for the Seq, and one with a 16F877 for standard MB64 functions) both all wired to the same pots, with a master switch which is used to swap between the two "master modes", ie. SEQ or Controller?

The two machines are very similar in layout and principle (perhaps apart from the 64LED and 4x16 display), and I think it would be fantastic if this workaround could house both beasts in the one box with essentially the same controllers.

I look forward to your response..

your thoughts?

kieran

Hi Kieran,

Will the sequencer differ markedly from the MHBP standard MB64? (apart from 64 LEDs..   )

With the next update there will be no difference concerning the external functions (64 pots, 64 buttons, 64 LEDs), but the implementation differes a lot. In the MB64 firmware, 128 bytes are used to store the MIDI event for every pot in RAM... the fast access to the "events" is required to handle incoming MIDI events for the soft-takeover function (snap mode, etc.) in realtime without dataloss.

The MB64SEQ firmware supports soft-takeover only for internal events - this saved me from storing the events in RAM, and so I was able to use the free memory for two additional layers (see sequencer concept in the news section). The MIDI events itself are saved in the slow flash memory (slow means: ca. 5 uS read-access delay)

So would it ever be possible to control one (perhaps called) Midibox65 which contains perhaps two cores (once with new PIC for the Seq, and one with a 16F877 for standard MB64 functions) both all wired to the same pots, with a master switch which is used to swap between the two "master modes", ie. SEQ or Controller?

I wouldn't do this - so long as the "snap" mode is not required, the MB64SEQ can also be used as common MIDI controller. Every track can be switched to "controller" mode, where every pot sends the event immediately. Also mixed configurations are possible (n tracks as sequencer, m tracks as controller).

My suggestion: just use two BankSticks for the different purposes. One stick should be prepared for controller functions, the other for sequencer functions. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: with the MIDIbox NG design, all these limitations will be obsolete :)

So, basically, I can build me a MB64 and it wil function as a 'standard' MB64 or a MB64SEQ depending on the firmware?

Furthermore, the 'soft takeover' or 'snap' mode is bit unclear to me. What do you mean by this? Maybe you can give me a practical example, otherwise it could take long to explain it to me... ;D

So, basically, I can build me a MB64 and it wil function as a 'standard' MB64 or a MB64SEQ depending on the firmware?

correct. And with the upcoming MIDIbox NG design you will be able to change the application PlugIns via MIDI on-the-fly :)

Furthermore, the 'soft takeover' or 'snap' mode is bit unclear to me. What do you mean by this? Maybe you can give me a practical example, otherwise it could take long to explain it to me... ;D

Here the explanation of the MB64 tutorial:

Snap Mode: When you adjust a knob in Snap Mode, the original setting determines the value until the point where the movement of the knob passes beyond this position. In other words, the parameter does not jump to the value as in Normal Mode. However, keep in mind that your adjustments have no effect on the parameter until the knob "snaps" on at the position equivalent to the original parameter. In SNAP mode, an right arrow symbol appears instead of the parameter bar. It indicates in which direction the knob must be turned to exceed the current parameter value. Arrow Left implies the value is lower. The parameter bar appears when the value is "snapped".

And an example: your knob points to note C-1, you switch to another bank which restores the note F-3. When you now turn the knob clock-wise, it would send C#1, D-1, D#1 and not F#3, G-3, G#3 in normal mode. In snap mode no value will be changed until the knob passes the position for F-3 --- on this way parameter jumps are avoided.

Best Regards, Thorsten.