buttons don't work .... except of one

Guest didifeed

Guest didifeed

hi there!

after solving my problems with my pots i'm having new troubles

my buttons don't want to work except one of the menu buttons ... don't know what it is because i haven't got a lcd on my box but i think its the exec... i see a lot of note of events in midiox but when i press one of the other buttons nothing happens. what could it be? have i shot the ic's with the earlier troubleshooting?

thx

greez

Hi,

it seems that either the SCLK or the RCLK line isn't connected properly or has a short. So, just check these signals visually (measuring the voltages is useless here) from the core module (PIC Pin #21 and #22) to the DINX4 modules (pin #1 and #2 of each 74HC165).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi,

It occurred to me while reading this thread (and many others here) that many MIDIBox builders could benefit from having a logic probe to perform troubleshooting on their projects. Most builders here cannot afford or justify the purchase of an oscilloscope. A logic probe is an inexpensive yet powerful tool for troubleshooting digital circuitry. Here is a link to one example of such a probe.

http://kitsrus.com/projects/k24.pdf

A search on the Internet for “DIY Logic Probe†reveals many other such cheap to build logic probes Although I am fortunate enough to own an oscilloscope I use my logic probe regularly when troubleshooting digital circuitry.

Hope this info is useful.  :)

Guest didifeed

thx man ....  i'll try this. and also thorstens hint. even the logic probe isn't usefull it's almost better than nothing ;o) and good to know about something also for other projects

but for now i got kicked back to the roots and have to debug my midi in again bcause the pic doesn't recieve midi in anymore :o((( yesterday it worked but now it doesn't want to anymore. also replaced the optocoupler already but didn't help...

Guest didifeed

ok...i'm a stupid nerd... had swapped the cables from the midi in somehow as i replaced the cable but buttons don't work but i haven't really began debugging

can it be that all of them don't work if one of them is faulty?

greez

Guest didifeed

ok thx

i figured out that i have a connection between Vs and SC on the din ... this souldn't be... should it? so i have to look for a short i think

pinning of the connection is ok

Guest didifeed

already had measured it without them

yes was a really tricky short at the bridges at the ic sockets. i sticked the cable through the hole and it got short at the top-side at the ic sockets gnd pin....

but noooow ..... it wooooooooorks ;o)

in midiox the events when a pot is moved are always reverb depth ... should be ok?!

thx men for your assistance :o)

greez