What is the best way to desolder a SID?

Milkmansound

I just got 5 64's in the mail, and NONE of the SID's are in sockets...:-[

(actually, that is not true - one is in a socket, but the number on the chip is 2584 - ?)

anyway, last time I spent about 2 hours wicking out the solder, and kind of drilling out the plated holes with an xacto knife - is there a better way to do this? I am happy to spend 10 hours desoldering the SIDS, but if there was a better way, I would be THRILLED!

If someone has wisdom - please share it  :)

thanks - Tim

Yeah, I know what you mean. On one of my sids, I got so frustrated, I grabbed a mini-blowtorch and quickly heated all the solder and then tapped the board to flip out the chip. At the time I thought I fried it, but once I got another sid working, I swapped it out and it still worked great. I can't say as I'd recommend this tactic though, unless you are truly desparate...

Justin

As an old computer tech, I would recommend using the solder wick or a solder sucker to remove the solder. The better solder wick will suck the solder out very quickly. Don't forget to clip the end off the solder wick so you are working with a fresh piece on each pin. Then use a small screwdriver and gently push each pin away from the side of the hole to make sure the pin is not still connected. After checking all pins, slide a thin bladeded knife under the chip and gently lift from one end to the other. If you can't get a knife under the chip, use a small scredriver under one end and lift a bit, then move to the other end and lift. Go back and forth until the chip is off the board.

Remember, patience and gentleness work wonders removing chips.

Later,

Mickey

Hi!

Way back I read about a nice way to desolder ICs and other stuff and it really works like a charm:

Get a hypodermic needle, size 20G (0.9mm diameter, yellow color code) will do the job. Try to buy one at a pharmacy, but probably you'll have to promise you're no drug addict...

File off the sharp end so it is perfectly blunt.

Heat the joint you are going to desolder with the soldering iron. Once the solder is melting, push the filed-off needle over the pin and all the way through the hole. The solder won't stick to the needle. Stop applying heat and carefully pull out the hypodermic.

But remember: if the needle is too tight the pin might get stuck in it and come off.

If the needle is too thick it won't fit through the hole.