MB_LC LCD Mayhem :(

LO

OK im seriously confused....

I picked up two 4x40 LCD's to use on my LC.

The plan was to use just 2 of the 4 rows on each as in the standard LC design

Its all wired, up all wires in parallel except for the enable lines which go to the seperate LCD's. When I power up everything appears to work except some of the characters are missing and there are a few random ones thrown in! Checked all my connections and all appears OK

So I tryed unhooking the enable line of the 2nd LCD and attaching it to the 2nd enable line of the 1st LCD powered up and presto all 4 rows of the first LCD are working just fine! problem being I dont want to use one LCD I want it spread over both LCDs  :-/

Anyone got any tips? I presume it is OK to use a 4x40 as a 2x40 by only using one of the enable lines?

help

Edit:

mmmmm actually it seems to drop characters and add the odd random character regardless of if its connected to LCD 1 or 2

I'm not quite sure on this but ...

In some other PIC Projects I used a 4x40 LCD.

The problem was the order in which the lines get filled:

On a 2 x 40 LCD the lines get filled from line 1 to line 2.

A 4x40 LCD is filed: Line1, Line3, Line2, Line4.

I think you have to change the code, if you want to use 2 4x40 LCD because the adresseing (line, character) fittes not your display.

greets

DOC

mmmm thanks for the idea.

I am currently trying a new PIC as I didnt take it out while I was soldering the LCD wires (too lazy!) if that doesnt fix it???

Do you think this is difficult to change the code so it will work with my 4x40's?

Uhps...now you're asking the wrong one...

I'm pretty sure, that it is not very hard in MIOS - but I have no idea how !

Perhaps it's only a easy  change in the display driver.

In fact that our GOD (TK) is busy at the moment, maybe somone else can help ?

I am currently trying a new PIC as I didnt take it out while I was soldering the LCD wires

No problem ! You'll not be able to kill that PIC by only soldering. Believe me - it survived !

Doc

OK thanks

Yeah the PIC's are a hardy type ::)

I think that the root of my problem as with most on this site is dodgy connections, as i managed to get it to work last nite .......but only while holding the wires (and my tounge) on a certain angle!

So sorry to waste your time.

pEaCe