Detend Rotary Encoders

Guest nomadicWhale

Guest nomadicWhale

Sorry for the novice Question...

Can anyone explain what is the difference between detend and non-detend rotary encoders?

I want to order encoders from Voti, should I take detend or non-detend? Any one had any expirience with them?

I'm going to use them for midi box (not a sequenser).

Thanks

nW

Guest nomadicWhale

Sorry for the novice Question...

Can anyone explain what is the difference between detend and non-detend rotary encoders?

I want to order encoders from Voti, should I take detend or non-detend? Any one had any expirience with them?

I'm going to use them for midi box (not a sequenser).

Thanks

nW

Hi,

Detend encoders have "clicks" between the steps.

Non-detended ones move smoothly between the steps.

But that's not all: With a midibox, non-detend encoders use "quadroubled resolution", so 24step /rotation encoders give you 96 steps.

This can't be done with detend encoders: You probably don't want to see parameters to jump 4 values in one step.

At least ALPS detend encoders can be easily modified to non-detend ones, but as far as I remember, no-one has confirmed this on votis encoders.

Bye, Moebius

Hi,

Detend encoders have "clicks" between the steps.

Non-detended ones move smoothly between the steps.

But that's not all: With a midibox, non-detend encoders use "quadroubled resolution", so 24step /rotation encoders give you 96 steps.

This can't be done with detend encoders: You probably don't want to see parameters to jump 4 values in one step.

At least ALPS detend encoders can be easily modified to non-detend ones, but as far as I remember, no-one has confirmed this on votis encoders.

Bye, Moebius

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nomadicWhale

Thanks.

I order Voti's encoders. those are great. They have nice feel. and by removing a little spring from the inside of the encoder - you can un-detened them.

I enjoy them.

Guest nomadicWhale

Thanks.

I order Voti's encoders. those are great. They have nice feel. and by removing a little spring from the inside of the encoder - you can un-detened them.

I enjoy them.

the detented encoders of voti can also be modified; bend the 4 clips (that hold the encoder together) back with a mini screwdriver, open the encoder. In the bottom there is 1 "u-shaped" pin with a bump in the middle. If you bend this pin down so it wont touch the upper part when reassembled, your encoder will be non-detented.

cheers, marcel

the detented encoders of voti can also be modified; bend the 4 clips (that hold the encoder together) back with a mini screwdriver, open the encoder. In the bottom there is 1 "u-shaped" pin with a bump in the middle. If you bend this pin down so it wont touch the upper part when reassembled, your encoder will be non-detented.

cheers, marcel

• 3 weeks later...

I have a bunch of Voti's encoders waiting to be assembled into a SID Control Surface.

I'm thinking of undetenting them. A question: if the "click" is removed, does the enc still send only pulses, so it won't be "on all the time" between the original clicked positions?

Another, possibly stupid, question: if I remove the "click" from Voti's encoders, will the resolution be quadrupled (I sure don't want that!)?

Thanks for advice.

Dual SID CS construction status: Completed 1 core module, 1 SID module, 1 dinx module and LCD module  :)

I have a bunch of Voti's encoders waiting to be assembled into a SID Control Surface.

I'm thinking of undetenting them. A question: if the "click" is removed, does the enc still send only pulses, so it won't be "on all the time" between the original clicked positions?

Another, possibly stupid, question: if I remove the "click" from Voti's encoders, will the resolution be quadrupled (I sure don't want that!)?

Thanks for advice.

Dual SID CS construction status: Completed 1 core module, 1 SID module, 1 dinx module and LCD module  :)

if you remove the click like i described above, the only thing that happens is that you dont feel the detents anymore; the pin you bend is only there for the "feel" (detented); it has nothing to do with the actual "working parts" of the encoder..

i've undetented all my voti encoders for my sid CS, works fine for me

good luck with building,

cheers marcel

if you remove the click like i described above, the only thing that happens is that you dont feel the detents anymore; the pin you bend is only there for the "feel" (detented); it has nothing to do with the actual "working parts" of the encoder..

i've undetented all my voti encoders for my sid CS, works fine for me

good luck with building,

cheers marcel