Roland PG200 possible?

Guest gadarby

Guest gadarby

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but would it be possible to create a homemade equivalent to the roland PG200 using the ideas & concepts behind the midibox?

Many thanks

Gareth Darby

Guest gadarby

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but would it be possible to create a homemade equivalent to the roland PG200 using the ideas & concepts behind the midibox?

Many thanks

Gareth Darby

And why not?! ;)

The biggest problem is that you need to know protocol specification of the PG-200.. I haven't seen any information on that.. Of course It could be reverse engineered, but then you would need a working unit, a logic analyzer and patience to extract and analyze data streams..

After that it would be pretty easy to adapt something like MB64 to simulate PG-200..

Bye, Moebius

p.s. It's a secret (as long as I'm searching for cheap MKS-30 ;D), but JX-3P/MKS-30 Rock! Which one do you have?!  

And why not?! ;)

The biggest problem is that you need to know protocol specification of the PG-200.. I haven't seen any information on that.. Of course It could be reverse engineered, but then you would need a working unit, a logic analyzer and patience to extract and analyze data streams..

After that it would be pretty easy to adapt something like MB64 to simulate PG-200..

Bye, Moebius

p.s. It's a secret (as long as I'm searching for cheap MKS-30 ;D), but JX-3P/MKS-30 Rock! Which one do you have?!  

Guest gadarby

Moebius

I have an alpha junp 2 which I am told the pg200 will work with.  I did consider a jx-3p a while ago but for some reason never got round to purchasing one.

I was under the impression that the PG200 would be a midi controller which just gave users a realtime control surface to their roland synths.  Would the protocol spec just be the CC's for the relevant parts of the synth?

Gareth

Guest gadarby

Moebius

I have an alpha junp 2 which I am told the pg200 will work with.  I did consider a jx-3p a while ago but for some reason never got round to purchasing one.

I was under the impression that the PG200 would be a midi controller which just gave users a realtime control surface to their roland synths.  Would the protocol spec just be the CC's for the relevant parts of the synth?

Gareth

Oh,

That's PG-300, and yes it's a midi device.

It doesn't send CC's but SysEx to control parameters, you can find manual for it (and MKS-50, rack version of alphajuno) from:

http://www1.ftg.co.uk/studio/mks/index.cfm?mks=50

And just the SysEx implementation:

http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Roland/Juno/info/Alpha-Juno.sysex.txt

I think that using meta events, pots and buttons can be used to send out SysEx, but I really don't know how it's done. Check out source files, as I think Thorsten has used it to control some Yamaha AN1x parameters.

Bye, Moebius

Oh,

That's PG-300, and yes it's a midi device.

It doesn't send CC's but SysEx to control parameters, you can find manual for it (and MKS-50, rack version of alphajuno) from:

http://www1.ftg.co.uk/studio/mks/index.cfm?mks=50

And just the SysEx implementation:

http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Roland/Juno/info/Alpha-Juno.sysex.txt

I think that using meta events, pots and buttons can be used to send out SysEx, but I really don't know how it's done. Check out source files, as I think Thorsten has used it to control some Yamaha AN1x parameters.

Bye, Moebius

• 2 weeks later...

The PG200 has a funny connector that it links to the jx3p/MKS30 with. I've also heard that it isn't possible to use the PG200 at the same time as midi, though I'm not sure how true that is.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make your own ROM chips to get the velocity upgrade? Actually, maybe it is possible to get them direct from roland....

I've been thinking of buying a jx3p...

The PG200 has a funny connector that it links to the jx3p/MKS30 with. I've also heard that it isn't possible to use the PG200 at the same time as midi, though I'm not sure how true that is.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make your own ROM chips to get the velocity upgrade? Actually, maybe it is possible to get them direct from roland....

I've been thinking of buying a jx3p...

Of course if you had the contents of the rom you should be able to burn one. Where to get the contents? I don't really know, perhaps there is a way to read the contents from one rom to be burnt to new one's? Or maybe Roland has , and will give away, that data.

I have been wondering the same thing as i need roms for a korg dw8000.......

Of course if you had the contents of the rom you should be able to burn one. Where to get the contents? I don't really know, perhaps there is a way to read the contents from one rom to be burnt to new one's? Or maybe Roland has , and will give away, that data.

I have been wondering the same thing as i need roms for a korg dw8000.......

Hi, Steven_C

As far as I remember, It isn't possible to use MIDI/PG-200 same time with JX-3P, but with MKS-30 it is... Sad isn't it :)

I sold my JX-3P years ago.. when I wanted to get rid of excess keyboards on my setup. It's good for some 2 DCO basses, strings and strange osc sync klangs.

It's a piece of cake to PROM new firmware to EPROMS, but where to get dump of firmware?!

Anyway.. Steven and Arumblack, check www.analog.no.. could be useful..

Bye, Moebius

Hi, Steven_C

As far as I remember, It isn't possible to use MIDI/PG-200 same time with JX-3P, but with MKS-30 it is... Sad isn't it :)

I sold my JX-3P years ago.. when I wanted to get rid of excess keyboards on my setup. It's good for some 2 DCO basses, strings and strange osc sync klangs.

It's a piece of cake to PROM new firmware to EPROMS, but where to get dump of firmware?!

Anyway.. Steven and Arumblack, check www.analog.no.. could be useful..

Bye, Moebius

It should be possible - I've configured my MB64 to emulate an MPG80, the programmer for the MKS80, which is basically the same thing with different SysEx. Just edit mb64_meta.inc and replace the AN1x SysEx, then set the MB up to call the right meta events.

Here's my modified mb64_meta.inc.

It should be possible - I've configured my MB64 to emulate an MPG80, the programmer for the MKS80, which is basically the same thing with different SysEx. Just edit mb64_meta.inc and replace the AN1x SysEx, then set the MB up to call the right meta events.

Here's my modified mb64_meta.inc.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, bought it about four or five years ago from a music shop in Brisbane over the web.  $200. Unfortunately the idiot sent it to me in one layer of cardboard made out of two boxes sticky-taped together, and no padding of any kind.  When it got here, two of the DCOs were funky.  I shelved it and never got back to it.  They could just be loose in their sockets, or they could need replacing.  $$$

"Doctor Doctor.."

Lemme take that limited piece of **** out of your hands.. ;D

or then again: Midibox64 modified to good edit layout in with custom meta events and in patch mode and Your MKS-7 RoXX! (MKS-7 has a single edit buffer for the sounds, this would dump patch as SysEx when changing "patch" on midibox.. I'm been wondering about hacking into this machine.. (if I had one) and do some HW/SW modifications.)

Moebius

/edit p.s. Just hope the problem is in the oscillators not on the filters - the oscillators are standard digital counter chips.