MIDIbox Plus

Guest Jakeone

Hello people!

I'm new to the site.. And i need some help with questions if you people can help me..

I wanna build the Midibox Plus.. But i wanna build the Midibox plus of Resad i saw on the photo section.. The knobs on the unit are really nice.. The plastic on the unit gives it a nice touch..(it's plastic right?),. The unit is really simple black and white which i like.. Does anyone know where i could get those part at? Especially those knobs really kick ass...

Help will be much appreciated..

Thanks

Hello Jakeone,

I don't know how to get these knobs. Perhaps you could ask Resad himself (his e- mail address is given beside the photo of his box on the gallery site. Just repace the "_at_" with "@".).

But in general you should consider to build a more "up to date" midibox. MB Plus is quite old and based on the older 16F877 PIC.

Instead please take a look at the MB64 if you want to use pots. Personally I prefer encoders so I build a MB 64E. You can build these boxes with less than 64 pots/encoders if you don't need 64.

Raphael

Sup Raphael

Yeah i mailed Resad before making this post.. Hasn't answered yet..

Been looking over the site the last days and learned some cool stuff.. So i might just do the midi64..  Only really want like 16 knobs tho.. I wanna use it for cool edit, kontact & some other programs... Wanna also put two faders on the side of the unit.. Cus you know some plugin's have faders to add delay and such.. In the top middle i wanna put a lcd..

Hey do you know if i can have diff. data in the pic to fit each program i use? Like if i wanna use cool edit i can have all the midi data saved in a bank so that i dont have to keep assigning knobs to certain plugins?

Gonna prob. construct the external with plastic.. A cool plastic tho.. Thinking about the side of the akai dps 16.. Anyone know where one could get plastic like that or even what kind it is?lol.. Thats prob gonna be my hardest thing to get, the plastic..

Whats the difference between encoders and pots? I know samplers like the asr x got encoders for the knobs and not pots..

Also i was reading if you make your midi box with port it is 20 percent faster... Do you know or anyone know if usb is faster then the port? I'm thinking yes.. But how much faster is it? I'm thinking about puttin usb and then midi or port..

Thanks for your help and reply Raphael..

Peace

Jakeone

Yes, you can save different setups in banks, and then recall them using buttons. You'll need at least one Bankstick to store them.

The difference between pots and encoders: When you turn a pot, it stops at either end. An encoder never stops, it just clicks for each turn(detented encoders that is). This way when you switch banks, it doesn't matter what the last setting was, it just matters which way you turn the knob. With the pot, the value might jump to the last setting. Thorsten has ways of dealing with this, but he still recomends encoders if you can get your hands on them. See smashTv's midiBox site - he now has regular encoders for $1 us apiece.

Justin

Hello Jakeone,

Also i was reading if you make your midi box with port it is 20 percent faster...

What do you mean with 'port'? The serial COM port interface via the LTC module?

The midibox itself doesn't get faster with the serial port interface, but the data transmission does.

Personally I prefer the standard midi connection because I use external midi devices which have no To-Com interface. And normally the midi data transmission is fast enough for sending and transmitting some CCs, like your midibox 64 will do.

Do you know or anyone know if usb is faster then the port? I'm thinking yes.. But how much faster is it? I'm thinking about puttin usb and then midi or port..

I don't understand what you mean with "puttin usb and then midi or port".

If you mean the USB module from the MBHP, It's not faster as a standard midi connection. It' just another midi interface  :)

I've finished mine 2 weeks ago (after sone hours of hardware debugging - this damn SMD Chip...).

Raphael

Goyousalukis, Thanks awesome info.. Its funny cus i was thinking that i wanted to put the "pots" or i atleast i thought they where from my pre on the midibox which are really detented encoders.. Awsome site also thanks..

Raphael, yeah i was talking about the com port...

"The midibox itself doesn't get faster with the serial port interface, but the data transmission does."

Does that mean i have less latency going with com port?

I'm thinking just doing it standard midi..

So what is it that i actually have to buy? Core Module, LCD Module, right? What else? What if i wanna put two faders on the side?

Also does the pcb have where i have to put the parts or something?

Thanks, Peace

Jerry

So what is it that i actually have to buy? Core Module, LCD Module, right? What else? What if i wanna put two faders on the side?

You will need a Core module for sure. There is no LCD Module, you just buy an LCD and hook it up to the core. Here is a link to a PDF file that shows you how: http://www.avishowtech.com/midibox/wiki/index.php/HowToConnectLCD?PHPSESSID=5c1f30f79441fd49b1fbcf056820ede6

For buttons and encoders, you need a DIN module. A DIN module handles 32 inputs. Buttons take one and Encoders take two. So if you wanted 8 encoders and 8 buttons, you would need 24 inputs = one core.

For Potentiometers/Faders, you normally use an AIN module. An AIN handles 32 inputs, so you would only need one. There is a way to read 8 or less pots/faders without an AIN, but it requires a bit of programming.

Also does the pcb have where i have to put the parts or something?

The core has SIL headers on it where you connect the other modules see:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_core.html

the DIN/DOUT/AIN modules connect to the core module.  You can solder them directly, or you can make cables so that it is easier to take apart and put together. You connect the Encoders, Faders, and buttons to the Din/Ain modules. You can solder those as well, or make connectors.

Hope this helps.

Justin

ps. after rereading your last question - if you mean is the PCB labelled as to where the parts go, then yes the PCB's you buy from SmashTV or from Mike's are labelled.

Jakeone-

Regarding your issues to using different ports for interfacing.

The standard midiport runs at a certain baudrate

The com port baud rate is clocked a little faster than standard midi

I believe the usb might be clocked the same as com, but don't quote me on that, I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Basically they all run midi equally, with hardly any differenece as I see.

When you refer to latency, generally it is contributed to your soundcard and not to your midi setup (well maybe unless your are using tons of outboard gear in serial)

usually latency refers to the response time a soundcard can produce the sound when it is told to.

If you are requiring smaller latency times I would suggest looking into buying another soundcard for your computer, as the different port types are generally used for your choice of connection.

I understand what you are saying Screamin rabbit, and you are right-

But to clear up what I was saying.......

I was just stating in most cases the soundcard is to blame for latency involved with midi to software synths , and the other ports would not make up for the difference.

(late sounds using software related synths etc...)

Generally the different interfacing ports are just another option, especially if you only have two midiports and need them free for other standard midi gear.

Sorry for the confusion

;D