chip hangs when mios is uploaded

Guest paulrevelcet

Guest paulrevelcet

What would cause the chip to hang when mios is uploaded, I have a good know core and was programming a second chip for a spare, but when I upload mios it reboots and hangs when the lcd shows the version of mios, my other chip flashes the mios version and then says ready, I ordered these with the bootstrap programed, there the 18f type.

Hi Paul

If you want to replace it easily without it costing either of us extra cash, order a sample PIC from Microchip and send it to me (along with the one that is acting up) and I'll burn the bootstrap to the sample, send it to back to you, and run some more extensive tests on the bad one to try to see what is wrong with it.

Although there have been no other known "cranky" PICs from that run I might send it on to Microchip if they want a look (to improve their process).  They seem to have an almost twisted interest in the failure modes of their chips....... ;)

Best!

Smash

Guest paulrevelcet

Thanks for the reply everyone, no I dont have a programer, not yet anyway, I wish smash would put a kit together ;), as soon as I get some time I will get that sample and mail it to you smash, I actually ordered two chips from you and I have only tried the one, so I will try the other one tonight and let you know how it works, any recommendations on a cheap programer?

Guest paulrevelcet

Thanks for the reply everyone, and I just figured out the smash does have a kit, I overlooked it, but you know what , I my have killed to many brain cells when I was young, but the ones that are left are very smart, all 35 of them.

Guest paulrevelcet

I got the chip to stop hanging, it was strange, I got frustrated and thought I would see if I could just stop the upload of mios half way through and then try to upload it again so as the upload was going I unplugged the power from the core and got the syx file ready to upload as soon as I plugged it in I started the upload, after doing this a few times it worked, now everything seems fine, I had to do both chips this way. thanks for the help.