New to Electronics, a couple questions

Guest Gurgalax

Guest Gurgalax

I want to begin by first thanking every single one of you involved in this edeavour and a very big thanks to Thorsten Klose for the drive to do all this and SmashTv for the great  PCB's and kits.

I am new to electronics and this is my first project(first soldering, first digital multimeter, first everything...heheh). I have successfully built the core module and tested the connections with a multimeter (4.98 VDC on everything using a 9V 500milliamps wall plug). I have yet to multimeter the completed SID module.

Some questions I have:

1. Do I only install the bootstrap software on the PIC and then upload the MIOS and SID software through MIDI. Or do I program the PIC with MIOS and the SID software, or do I just program the PIC with the SID software?

2. How does one setup the contrast rotary(is it a rotary thats used?) for the LCD screen. Do I have to setup a button(rotary?) for the backlight and how does one make such connections?

3. Does anyone have experience using the CK1710 USB Flash PIC programmer from www.electronickits.com? I just want to make sure that I installed the bootstrap loader correctly and that I understand how to use the program in setting the chip ID.

Thanks for the help.

Some suggestions I have for SmashTV's PCB's is that the SID core needs to have J2 a little further from the IC1, and the MHB Core needs to have more space between IC1 and J10...this is for easier interfacing utilizing 8 pin ribbon cables. Additionally, the SID module requires more distancing between the capacitor gaps to make them sit flush with the PCB.

Suggestions for the Webmaster: a note is needed stating that the core module and sid module schematics differ from smashtv's schematics and that for purchasers of smashtv's kits should utilize the revised data on smashtvs website.

NOTE TO NOVICES: I would like to say that if you know nothing of electronics this is a great kit to begin with, lots of information is available. Making electronic projects is fun, reminds me of playing with legos.

Sincerely,

Felix A. Mercado

Hi,

straight to your questions:

1. Do I only install the bootstrap software on the PIC and then upload the MIOS and SID software through MIDI. Or do I program the PIC with MIOS and the SID software, or do I just program the PIC with the SID software?

You'll only have tu burn the bootstrap loader. MIOS and the SID software has to be uploaded via Midi.

. How does one setup the contrast rotary(is it a rotary thats used?) for the LCD screen. Do I have to setup a button(rotary?) for the backlight and how does one make such connections?

There's no rotary for contrast and backlight !. You change this values with the two pots on the CORE.

If you like these controls on your frontpanel you'll have to use normal pots (instead of trim pots) for these.

No experience on 3.)

greets

DOC

Guest Gurgalax

Thank you Doc,

Ah so thats why those Pots are there....The schematics make a bit more sense now, I am still learning how to decipher all these symbols and pathways.

Sincerely,

Felix

Some suggestions I have for SmashTV's PCB's is that the SID core needs to have J2 a little further from the IC1, and the MHB Core needs to have more space between IC1 and J10...this is for easier interfacing utilizing 8 pin ribbon cables. Additionally, the SID module requires more distancing between the capacitor gaps to make them sit flush with the PCB.

Thanks!  These are on the improvement list for next rev.
Suggestions for the Webmaster: a note is needed stating that the core module and sid module schematics differ from smashtv's schematics and that for purchasers of smashtv's kits should utilize the revised data on smashtvs website.
Very minor correction on this, The schematics are the same but the layouts are different.  All of my modules are pin-compatible with the original layouts on ucapps.de at the time of this writing (R3 CORE).

Everything will stay pin compatible from my end, but a few more design improvements (like holes for dual row connectors so simple IDC connectors/ribbon cable can be used, or loaded with the usual single row headers for drop-in wiring compatibility) are planned.

Thanks so much for the kind words, and Have Fun! ;D

Smash