Mounting encoders

monokinetic

Hi all,

so work on my sequencer continues, I wont bore you with the details of where Im at, we are all busy!

But my question is I have my encoders as supplied by voti (very good service by the way...) and I have almost finished the veroboards (sometimes called training board, basicly the brown boards with holes and lines for want of a better description!) with switches etc.

Now Im trying to work out if its better to attach each encoder to the front panel using the supplied nut and washer or if they are better just soldered onto the veroboard? The reason I ask is that the encoders have somekind of "clip" on the bottom which stops me from just mounting them, the only way I see to attach them to a veroboard is to use some pliers and pull these bits off but that seems a little aggressive.....

Anyone do this already? Did you pull off the the little clip bits?

Thanks in advance

Dave mK

ps I am going to make a diagram of where to mount the componants on veroboard to make them match to TK's front panel design. Is there somewhere I can upload the pictures to?

Did you pull off the the little clip bits?
Heya Dave!

With the right holes the tabs are there to snap the encoder in to a circuit board, and if you have a copper pad around that larger than usual hole, soldering these tabs to it will strengthen the whole assembly.

But working with veroboard, I would say its safe to clip off the tabs as long as you mount it to the panel with the nut and washer.  Let the encoder shaft/bearing take any force/pressure/abuse, not your connections...... ;)

ps I am going to make a diagram of where to mount the componants on veroboard to make them match to TK's front panel design. Is there somewhere I can upload the pictures to?

The portal has easy picture uploads in the Gallery, send it up and link to it from here.  

Best!

Smash

Heya Dave!

With the right holes the tabs are there to snap the encoder in to a circuit board, and if you have a copper pad around that larger than usual hole, soldering these tabs to it will strengthen the whole assembly.

But working with veroboard, I would say its safe to clip off the tabs as long as you mount it to the panel with the nut and washer.  Let the encoder shaft/bearing take any force/pressure/abuse, not your connections...... ;)

Would it also be possible to drill out hopes in the veroboard (in the appropriate locations) to snap the tabs through?  That's the approach that I was planning on using, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Speaking of which, does anyone want to help me paint a two bedroom apartment and then move in this weekend? ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for the various suggestions.

Just for information I found that if I drill a hole in the veroboard I can poke the leg of the encoder through and then use this to clamp the encoder to the veroboard a lot more securely than the solder would have done.

Plus I dont have to remove 32 legs from my nice new encoders :)

regards

Dave mK