MBLC, number of emulated characters

Rowan

Hi

I'm modding the MBLC app for my MB i've just about finished. I've used a 40 x 4 CLCD so I would like to change the number of emulated to 80 in the main.asm file and have a play with the layout using the lc_clcd.inc file.

Anyone know if the logic control spec allow for more that 55 characters?

If I change

#define LCD_EMU_COL     55

to

#define LCD_EMU_COL     80

will I be able to print character strings sent by the host anywhere on the screen.

I understand that the logic control spec allows for up to 6 characters per "message", can anyone confirm this?

Is there a better way of doing this?  

Regards

Rowan Spicer

Hi Rowan,

the logic/mackie control protocol supports 2*55 maximum, therefore the screen layouts (-> lc_clcd.inc) are only prepared for this max. number of characters per line. You will notice that the left and right side of the display is filled with some additional informations (e.g. button status of mute/solo/rec, time code, etc...) by MIDIbox LC, so that the whole screen (2 * 2x40) is utilitzed.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the reply Thorsten, thats cool to have that sorted. I'll have to rethink my screen layout ideas.

I can move the MTC and Solo/Mute status in the lc_clcd.inc file, right?

By using;

#define LCD_EMU_COL     40

will I lose 1 characters per message, giving me 5 charaters per massage?

Sorry for these questions, I haven't bought Logic for OS X since I switched platforms, so I haven't been able to test my changes yet.

Thanks again

Regards

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

no, with "LCD_EMU_COL 40" the text output will be cutted after the 40th character. LC doesn't send individual messages for each fader/vknob combination, there is only one message type and one 2x55 screen. Some people (e.g. Axel) customized the display output routine by removing some of the characters within the 2x55 range, so that they are able to use smaller displays. You could ask them for the code...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi,

thanks for your reply, It's good to know the limitations. Can you point me to

any MIDI data structure documentation for the LC. Come to think of it I should be looking at the MBLC code.

Where the sysex data strings defined?

Thanks Thorsten

Regards

Rowan

Hi Thortsen

Thank for pointing me to that, I've only been able to find the version 1.0 manual on the net which doesn't inclued the sysex spec. This will make my life much more easy with respect to understanding the data that can and can't be sent by the MBLC and Logic.

Could I suggest that you post that link on the MBLC page, it may help reduce stupid questions like mine.

I'm going to up load some pix of my almost finished MBLC tonight on to the portal.

Regards

Rowan

P.S. I ripped apart the Logic control from my work today to replace a broken fader, I must say your solution is far more elegent. I've got One P and G motorfader that is slightly damaged (the string that pulls the fader back and forth is broken) Do you want me to send it to you so you can test the MF driver with this type of fader if you haven't already done so?

Hi Rowan,

the link to the manual is available in the MIDIbox Wiki (I want to store such informations their to promote the Wiki)

P&G fader: oh yes please - I'm happy for getting the chance to test this fader with the MIOS_MF driver :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.