LED Reverse Voltage

Screaming_Rabbit

Hi,

Moebius is right, If you put the LED in the wrong way in theory If you apply 4 Volts in the wrong direction i.e.  if you put 4 volts on the Cathode and 0 volts on the Anode you will blow it.

In practice it will probably handel a bit more, maybe another 0.5 to 1.0 Volt. Not a  good idea thought.

These LED's will be fine, as all ways make sure they are connected around the right way.

regards

Rowan

hi,

LED's in the multiplexed displays such as the MIDIbox LC LED rings and level meters do get reverse bias (this means they see a reverse voltage as the display matrix is scanned). However it would be about 4V max, because there will be a voltage drop on the outputs of the Dout drivers. The rated voltage on the LED is likely to be a conservative figure therefor its highly unlikely to be a problem.

cheers

Thanks a lot!

... I thought, that theoretically it shouldn't be a problem, since I use the LEDs only for light emission and not as a diode function.

I also know, that there is more to think about than just within the fences of my basic electronic understanding  ;D... that's why I asked ::)

Thanks guys... I'll give it a try for LED rings in my MIDI-Box LC design.

Greets, Roger