Midibox amp switcher

msi

I'm about to assemble a rack system of some of my guitar gear, and haven't found a midi capable amp switcher yet.  I've checked and it seems the 74HC595 can be used to switch a relay.  Does this seem possible or am I wasting my time?  I'm thinking one core, a dout, din, and an lcd.

I don't forsee any problems with construction, but programming may be an issue.  Modifying the MIOS so that it provides the functions I'm looking for.  The only construction issue might be noise from the crystall or digital noise from the digital lines leaking into the analog lines.

The only construction issue might be noise from the crystall or digital noise from the digital lines leaking into the analog lines.

... so you actually want an signal router not an amp switcher... like a digital controled patch bay? If you're looking for a switcher (shortening the remote contact of an "external switch"- connector of your amp), I think there won't be any noise issues.

Greets, Roger

• 4 weeks later...

I have taken time to develop a schematic and a PCB layout for the relay module.  It's basically the dout module with relay's rather than led's.  The URL is http://216.250.178.122/will/midibox/signalrouter/index.html.  As is now, I will be able to switch between Three Pre-amps, and three effect loops.

The basic design I believe will be a Core module, Dout, and Din.  The interface will be eight buttons, two eight segment Led's, and six regular LED's.  The two eight segment Led's will be to show which patch its on, the Period will be to indicate patches 100-128.  The six regular LED's will be to indicate which loops are active.  Six of the buttons will be to activate the relay, and the last two are for patch up, and patch down.  Pressing both the up and down button will be for saving.  I haven't decided if I will let more than one preamp can be active at once.  If I decide only one will be active at a time, I'll have it so pressing one of those three buttons will disable the other two.  This will be mounted in a rack and controlled from a midi foot board.

I will have to figure out how to program the core module to behave the way I need it to.