Tinning PCB's

shed

Hey all, i got some PCB's from mikes shop for xmas, and I was just looking for some advice on tinning them and the like before soldering.

I think you can get an arosol spray or something, but im not sure.

i have made stuff on verro board before and i just made sure it was vagly clean and it seemed to work but...

im guessing that if i wan't to do this properly and not waste the money on the pcb's i should ask people how they prepare them?

thanks ed

Hi,

I hope I understood you right...

You want to tin the surface of the pcb before soldering ? -

You don't have to.

The only thing you can do before soldering the pcb is to clean it with "Spiritus" (don't know the englisch word, it's 100% alcohol - but don't drink it !). to eliminate the fat from fingerprints and other rubbish.

Normally thats all.

You can then use (if you like) a spray called "Lötlack SK 10" from Kontakt Chemie" (don't know the english word, also. It's a flux and a protection resin ).

When the board is finished (and tested) I sometimes use another spray from "Kontakt Chemie" called "Plastik 70". It's a transparent paint coat to protect the board from oxidation.

greets

Doc

There are some stuff available, (to make) tinning solution - but it's pretty expensive (but re-usable). It protects copper from oxidating and makes it easier to solder.

I've used that SK 10 stuff before, and was mistaken to think it's a Flux (the Can said FLUX SK 10, I'm not sure if PRF 202 or Cramolin Solderlac125 are basicly the same stuff - the thing is, that flux/flux residues are bad (conductive), but these are said to be protective laquers, with ability to ease the soldering)

I can fully recommend SK 10 (The TV Shop voice ;)). It makes solder to flow real easy - forming beautiful shiny solder joints.

But as Doc said - nothing prevents you from soldering PCBs with only minimal preparation of wiping it clean of the finger prints ect. (Asetone will do also)

Bye, Moebius

Well i think milkes pcbs come with flux on them anyway so, il just do them as they are.

I soldered a jdm last night and it worked fine.

One thing though, on my pcbs some of components solder onto a realy large area on the board, i.e. there arnt proper pads, is there anyway to stop the solder spreading out? or just use a lot less?

Order the next batch from SmashTV, those boards have a proper soldermask ;D

Nah, Kidding aside.. I really don't know a way to prevent this happening - But with that SK 10 (Shouldn't flux do the same?) solder flowed so nicely, that it was real easy to apply just the right amount. (And you surey know that you should heat the joint (not the solder) and apply solder there? sorry..)

Bye, Moebius

yeh i think i will order my next pcb's from smash, he has some newer layouts that look nicer in several ways. Also the silk screen legend on his board makes things a lot easer.

There was no problem realy with the soldering it came out fine mainly, The joints with the round pads came out nice looking, but the ones witch were just a hole through to an expanse of copper spread out a bit to much, i guess the flux helped the solder to "flow"!

But having said that soldering onto any pcb is a lot better than doing it all on stripboard!