MIDIbox 64 Project started!

selfservice

i'm working for a Traktor Dj Studio style midibox controller.

i've just finished drilling and cutting an old 1 rack unit of an ethernet switch, the boards was mounted about 1 year ago but now is time to make this working.

but i have a question, how i can make the serigraph (i don't know if it's the correct terminology but I'm thinking about writing on the panel).

for estetic question of my consolle i have to paint the unit in black, with the writings in white.

anyone have done this before me?

Hi,

Most black with white letters (synth) frontpanels i've seen have been painted black and then silkscreened. However, you do have to make a silkscreen with the text; which is very time consuming and maybe not worth the effort if you are only making one panel.

One other method i've used is making the design on computer, make a good laserprint of it and then glue it to your frontpanel (or take sticker-paper) after putting it on you must use a varnish; buy in art stores--> must be "hard" varnish. The down side is that it's very possible to get a slightly "bubbely"surface, the paper get's a bit moist and than it isn't perfectly smooth anymore (but still quite ok). When dry, cut out the holes with a good sharp knife/scalpel.

Third one is using lazertran decal paper; for a good explanation+other techniques check;

http://monopole.ph.qmw.ac.uk/~thomas/synthdiy/frontpanel.htm

good luck, marcel