Custom made motorfaders?

Steven_C

Just an idea...

Maybe we could commission the manufacture of custom motorfaders, maybe it will be cost effective...  maybe not...

Then we can have the features we want!

parts we need to design/get manufactured...

outer chassis... laser cut steel. Can be formed by a metalwork professional (like me  ;))

resistive tracks PCB's... ripped from commercial linear fader... but not enough elements on a standard fader. Maybe we will have to get these made custom  ???

motors... too easy

pulleys and belts hmmm

sliding contact springs and non-conductive sliding part OK now I'm starting to see it is a lot of work!

Oh well just thinking out loud...

We must have considerable buying power by now,  maybe we can get wholesale pricing from ALPS direct? All we need is a good contact inside ALPS or Panasonic...

I'd better go for a joint approach to use standard motor faders from P&G, the PGFM8000 series. This is by far the best quality/reliability, they are used in all professional equipment, and it could make sense to negotiate a special pricing with P&G for a bulk order. Does anybody have a good contact into P&G?

Cheers,

Skunk

Hi,

P&G has a quality problem, see also http://forum.keyboards.de, and search for Mackie Control --- unfortunately the text is in german, but http://babelfish.altavista.com should help

Currently it's also not clear if the MBHP_MF + the MIOS_MF driver can handle with a P&G fader correctly. Somebody reported bad experiences in the Troubleshooting section. But who knows, maybe he also got some defective faders from P&G :-/

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hmmm, interesting post in the keyboards forum. Never heard about such quality problems with P&G faders. As far as I know, Mackie is using the PGFM3200 models which are only available for OEMs.  I'll contact P&G in Germany to find out more, and will let you know as soon as I have more details.

Cheers,

Skunk

Its a pity the behringer BFC2000 dosen't have touch sensors... It would probably be quite cost effective to buy a bulk lot of these and rip them apart!

Maybe a competitor to Behringer will soon release a copycat version of the BFC2000 for a similar price, with better features (like touch sensor) that we can pull apart! (or just use as-is!)

BTW, I have seen someone on the Sound On Sound forum complaining about the faders on the mackie control. I know that hi-end console manufacturers spend a lot of time getting their motorfader driver algorithms just right, so maybe it is out of the league of even mackie to get it perfect.

BTW, If Penny and Giles (reguarded by many as the best) have quality problems, then we probably don't have much chance of manufacturing our own without problems, without a large investment. (ref to original post)

I agree to Steven_C regarding self-made faders. A fader is a "hi-tech" part and just a handfull suppliers have them in their portfolio. I won't spend money on DIY faders. The chance for good results is nearly zero. I think the better way is to look for reasonable pricing for standard faders and use them. They have to work for a long time -- reliable --. The Mackie problem seems to be an exception in the P&G quality history.  I know P&G from military applications, and they always delivered excellent quality. As I said, I'll sort out that issue with P&G Germany.  Give me a few days...

Cheers,

Skunk