Sound Advice

goyousalukis

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on a PA System.

I am responsible for purchasing a PA System for my organization to replace our current one.

Specifically, I am interested in opinions on Active versus Passive Speakers. Both for monitors and the mains.

We are looking at replacing our aging current Bi-Amped system: old version of http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_online/browse.cfm/action/details/item/00575220/wc/2A2D21/fam/2DP/tcode/1/s.cfm

with the Mackie line of Active speakers with actve subs:

http://www.mackie.com/products/sa1232/index.html

The system will be used for a wide range of sound reinforcement from a small jazz combo to a rock band to a concert band type ensemble.

Our biggest concern is easy setup and operation. I am a fairly proficient sound guy, but my replacement may not be.

Anyways, It seems as though the setup would be easier with the actives - less components, but you do have to run power to each speaker.

Any opinions on this? Thanks for any help.

Justin

Hi,

I had the same problem than you some years ago.

I ended up with  a "2 way" solution:

We still have a big 4-way passive PA System and we bought  a Mackie active PA.

The result after 4 years:

We still have both PA Systems , but mostly we use the Mackie because of the easy handling. Of course  you have to supply power to every active speaker. But this does take not so many time than wiring the passive components up. (Another thing to mention: The power cabling can be done by the stage dummies....the passive speaker wiring you have to do by yourself ... )

I was also unsure in the beginning, but now I really prefer the active solutions. You save a lot of time at the setup with this units. And the quality (especially with MACKIE) is really no argument anymore.

Another thing:  For real big power PA Speakers you always have to use ultra-heavy-big speaker-cables 8). (They are really heavy !). You can forget about this with active components. The power cable looks always the same for a small active component or for a big active component ...

greets

Doc