midibox sid - what does a good, basic control surface consist of?

tomtiki

my box has has 11 buttons and one encoder, but i'm using a 2x40 display.  if you were to use a smaller display you could get away with 5 buttons and an encoder, probably.  you might even be able to get it to work with less, but a 5-button, 1 encoder, and 2x16 lcd would be perfect for your needs, i think.

Since the DINX2 board supports 10 buttons, I think I'll go with 10 and 1 encoder. If the 40 col display is not significantly more expensive, I'll probably go that route.

Are certain buttons switches reccomended? Also, what is the advantage  for having a switch built into the rotary decoder? Since I have never built anything like this, this is not obvious to me...

Tom

as far as i know, the dinx2 boards can handle more than 10 buttons.  i'm only using 2 ICs on my dinx4 board (equivalent of a dinx2 board) and it can run my 11 buttons and 1 encoder.

where are you located?  i got a 2x40 display with led backlight for $6 in the usa (www.bgmicro.com).  the advantage to having a switch in the encoder is that it saves space on the front panel and it's one less button to purchase.  any switches and encoders will do just fine.  i prefer tactile switches and detented encoders.  just look for the cheapest ones you can find.  make sure that the switches are the normally open type though.

Are there certain controls on the SID  that would more appropriately be mapped directly to a rotary encoder, rather than having to

-scroll the display

-press the menu button

-turn the encoder

Having separate encoders for some of the functions would also allow multiple parameters to be adjusted in real time.

I saw the 40x2 col display at BG Micro, though  I'm thinking if I add more encoders, I might stick with the 20x2

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but what  is the switch built into the encoder usually used for?

Thanks,

Tom