Bourns encoder pin

tatapoum

• 2 weeks later...

CLARIFICATION FOR ANYONE USING THE BOURNS ENCODERS FROM SMASHTV:

(see http://avi.dezines.com/mbhp/images/encspecs17.gif for the diagram at smashTV's store)

pin "A" goes to D1

pin "C" goes to Vs

pin "B" goes to D0

this particular example is for J4 of the DINx4 module.  use the same format for other inputs.  for instance, the wiring for J3 of the DINx4 would be:

pin "A" --> D5

pin "C" --> Vs

pin "B" --> D4

this setup works in my SEQv2 box.  if any of this is unclear, let me know.  also, smash, if you read this maybe you can post this info somewhere on your site.

EDIT:  P.S. I'm posting this info here because I had gotten the wrong impression from ludo (see above post) and, after finishing my box, the encoders were reversed.  I've sinced rewired everything to meet the specifications in this post and everything works fine now.

HI James!

Sorry about the confusion on the encoder pinning!

I only tested for basic functionality (working with MIOS in different encoder modes) and durability.

Every time I set aside a few encoders to build me another box, orders come in that wipe out my

encoder stock (Thanks guys not complaining!) so I have not completed the box that would have

showed me this issue.........

What is the best way to correct this?  Should I simply reverse the A and B pins on the pinout on my

site, or is more documentation in order?

I could document MIOS encoder modes also, if you let me know what works for you I'll add it to the docs.

Best!

Smash

hi ,and thank you all ,but what is make me doubt is the fact that if you take your encoder in your hand as shown in the third schematic (right up ,the pin face to you ,"a" is on the left and "b" on the right ,and now if you turn the encoder to see is "bottom",whith the pin below ,as the fourth schematic ,you will notice that pin "a" is in fact at right side and "b" on the left!!!

am i stupid or realy tired ? i suppose i read one of the schematic in a wrong way...

hi smash,

well, i think first we need to figure out this ambiguous diagram issue...in the last diagram, is the shaft facing towards us or away from us?  once that is clarified, i think simply adding a key to the diagram defining which pin goes where (i.e. "pin 'a' --> D1", etc...).  as for the mios encoder modes, i still haven't had a chance to try the fix that thorsten suggested.  i'll post my results sometime this weekend, hopefully.

hi moxi,

now that i take a closer look, you're right...it is difficult to see what position that last diagram is in.  my description refers to the 2nd to last diagram, with the pins facing towards you.  let me know if you need more info.

james

hi smash,

well, i think first we need to figure out this ambiguous diagram issue...in the last diagram, is the shaft facing towards us or away from us? once that is clarified,

Last diagram is top down, shaft facing toward you/pins pointing away.

It's the "top down" view for a PCB designer to use to describe the footprint.  (I'm fighting the Eagle library editor now, as soon as I beat it I'll release an Eagle part library for the encoders)

i think simply adding a key to the diagram defining which pin goes where (i.e. "pin 'a' --> D1", etc...). as for the mios encoder modes, i still haven't had a chance to try the fix that thorsten suggested. i'll post my results sometime this weekend, hopefully.
Very cool....let me know if you need anything (help or hardware).....I need to dig through some old emails, for more info about what to change on the encoder speed.....time for me to break out the iron and build some hardware.... ;D

Best!

Smash

Last diagram is top down, shaft facing toward you/pins pointing away.

I need to dig through some old emails, for more info about what to change on the encoder speed.....time for me to break out the iron and build some hardware.... ;D

great, thanks smash!  yeah, that's what i had assumed when looking at the diagram, but moxi had me second guessing for a minute...

also, as for the encoder speed issue, i'm not really sure what to think at this point...i mean, i guess it makes sense for me to finish up this weekend before posting about this, but the whole "detented2" has been floating around here and there.  in fact, in moebius' recent "encoder specifications" post (http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/forum/index.php?topic=3980.0), he states that "detented2" is the way to go.  as i've said in the past week or so, i'm only having an issue with the data wheel encoder on my SEQv2...all of the other bourns encoders on that box are functioning normally.  sorry to be potentially adding my confusion to all of this, but it seems strange that only the datawheel would be having this issue.  more importantly, i guess i should keep my mouth shut until i ACTUALLY get around to trying everything this weekend. ::)  anyway, thanks for the help smash!

james

P.S. moebius: i hope you end up reading this post...thanks for your "encoder specifications" thread....it's definitely helpful, but i think we might need to hammer out this "detented2" issue a little bit more before we list it as being the definitive answer.  i realize that it might have made more sense to post all of this in that thread, but i didn't want to clutter it with semi-tangential info. ;)

as i've said in the past week or so, i'm only having an issue with the data wheel encoder on my SEQv2...all of the other bourns encoders on that box are functioning normally.  sorry to be potentially adding my confusion to all of this, but it seems strange that only the datawheel would be having this issue.

is answered by:

You could try the main.syx file --- this is my own setup, where DETENTED2 is already set for all encoders (only the datawheel is set to DETENTED since I'm using another encoder here)

That's the info I was looking for in the old emails, UI control encoders vs. normal encoders and the excellent ability to mix modes between the two......

Best!

Smash

P.S. moebius: i hope you end up reading this post...thanks for your "encoder specifications" thread....it's definitely helpful, but i think we might need to hammer out this "detented2" issue a little bit more before we list it as being the definitive answer.  i realize that it might have made more sense to post all of this in that thread, but i didn't want to clutter it with semi-tangential info. ;)

Hi, I'm here ;D

If there's wrong information there it will be corrected..

..But combining all the information about your SEQ2 - I'm wondering - what was the firmware that you uploaded?

I mean - IF you used "main.*", then all the encoders, BUT the menu encoder are "DETENTED2", which is "DETENTED", I guess (?!) and this is Thorstens setup.

Bye, Moebius

moebius, you're completely right...sorry about that.  i finally got around to tailoring the code to fit my box and, sure enough, everything was detented2 except for the datawheel.  that's why only my datawheel was messed up.  switched the datawheel to detented2 and everything works just fine now.  therefore, smash, you should definitely make note of the "detented2" issue for the bourns encoders (although clearly you and moebius are five steps ahead of me  ::)) in addition to the pinning clarification that i posted before.

thanks,

james

(although clearly you and moebius are five steps ahead of me  ::))

Hehe Moebius probably is, but I doubt I am!

There are two sides......theory and practice.......Since I never seem to get more than an hour of tinker time these days that leaves me with only theory, and that makes me way more dangerous than a newbie, especially when I'm trying to help!

;D

Best!

Smash

PS at least I can console myself with the thought that if I cause a MB to burst into flames with bad advice, I can pull fresh hardware from stock and send it out......Lucky for me so far they start working instead of flaming up!  ;D